Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Grad School=Death, Dissertation=Easy as Pie?

Grad school is hard. I read and read and read and still I'm never done with reading. And I think to myself: A) this is a lot of reading, B) what are these people saying, and C) one day they're going to just kick me out because I'm not up to snuff. (what does that phrase mean anyway??) So basically I question almost daily whether I'm cut out for this stressful and difficult and long PhD path. Then recently I was at dinner at my neighbors' and heard my 2 1/2 year old neighbor, Lydia, say something about her "dissertation" which came out sounding like "dithertation" but it was clear what she meant. So while babysitting Lydia she was packing up her backpack because "she had a big test to study for" and so she filled the backpack with essential items like...I don't know...random stuff like stuffed animals and flashlights...I'm trying to remember if there was even a notebook. And I asked Lydia how her dissertation was coming. She informed me "No, I finished my dissertation I just have a big test to study for." So not only was Lydia working on her dissertation at 2 1/2, she has finished it. I'm hoping that my grad school goes so quickly. Apparently a dissertation is something you can just whip out, just like that. I've been intimidated and stressed out over nothing. I'm so relieved. Tomorrow for school I'm considering packing my stuffed animals and flashlights because maybe this will help me succeed in grad school more than notebooks and highlighters. Its worth a shot, after all, it worked for Lydia. :)

3 little remarks:

Chill said...

These are times where i'm sad that i'm not the smartest because I know i'm missing out on something super funny right now...

::sigh:: one day!

Amy said...

How funny!! I love little kids and the funny things they say and do. As far as I am concerned you are cut out for Grad School than any other person I know. I hope you and Joe are doing well. Are you guys coming to Utah for the Holidays?

Marcia said...

Thanks to Lydia for the big relief! She is a great help in sooo many ways. Have you had her over to make cookies yet? She can probably teach you a few baking tips, also.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin