Saturday, January 5, 2008

Things I've Learned in Grad School Thus Far

Well, everyone seems to ask me lately, "How's Grad School?" And we just started a new quarter and today I've been reflecting on what I've learned in grad school so far. I decided to make a list, here goes:

*When teachers assign a 20+ page paper you should start it right away, not wait 8 weeks because, trust me, you'll have a near breakdown if you wait
*10 week quarters go much quicker than semesters--the end just creeps up on you.
*When in doubt of whether or not it will be on the final, assume it will be on the final
*Don't skip class to go to a UFO seminar...
*All graduate students will resort to caffeine in one form or another during the quarter
*Losing your keys to your office in the first month of the quarter is really lame
*Never let down your guard, there's always more reading you should be doing.
*I really do hate philosophy
*When your teacher says a $15.00 calculator will be enough to get you through probability theory he is lying...buy a graphing calculator
*teachers inflict things upon us because they can and because they had to do similar things in grad school...grad school is in many ways an extended hazing (btw, in case you didn't know, Wikipedia defines hazing as "an often ritualistic test and a task, which may constitute harassment, abuse or humiliation with requirements to perform random, often meaningless tasks, sometimes as a way of initiation into a social group"---sometimes I feel like this is graduate school...though I suppose much of it isn't meaningless. I should be fair to my professors)
*I need to learn to handle criticism better
*I am not a speed reader
*I will never be a speed reader
*I wish I were a speed reader
*I miss the Harold B Lee Library
*I really do have a split personality: Martha Stewart wanna be vs Martha Finnemore wannabe (Martha Finnemore is a political scientist)
*I know nothing about American politics
*I need to learn more about American politics
*I'm not as smart as I thought I was
*My fellow grad students are ridiculously smart
*The more you know, the more you realize you don't know
*IF you have a headache and you can't sleep do not take both an ambien and an excedrin, I promise there's a better solution
*Grad school is intense, grad school is hard, but still...grad school is WAY better than working 9-5 at a desk job.

2 little remarks:

Tiff said...

LOL, this cracked me up! Thanks for sharing, and I think my decision has been made. I will not be continuing on to grad school. Thanks Anna!

Aliese Fry said...

-ok- So I have to share that I enjoyed this immensely. I feel as though you should just entitle it Chapter 1 and continue the saga. I used to do this when I was in college. Perhaps I still should. And Anna--if you know nothing about American politics, well...Let's just say the rest of us are completely ignorant.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin