Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Do I have a Beautiful Mind?

So this picture is me this week---drawing nonsense diagrams and muttering to myself. Tomorrow is my "Game Theory" midterm, last year the class averaged 62% on the midterm so I have reason to fear, mutter, and draw on any surface I can find. The other picture is what I'd rather be doing right now (uh, pretend I'm Jennifer Connelly (in my dreams) rather than Russel Crowe)--on a date with my man and looking smoking hot (both of us), now that is more fun than muttering, cursing, and wandering around hoping it'll all make sense soon. But alas I must get back to drawing crazy diagrams (please note my crazy diagrams are nowhere near as cool as his--maybe after next quarter in Game Theory 2!) If you're wondering what game theory is wikipedia has a pretty good summary--I may have mentioned it before on the blog. Its totally useful--beware of my rock, paper, scissor skills! I'm getting more strategic every day. :) Anyway I know at least one person will appreciate these photos (Chelsey...). The movie A Beautiful Mind was about a Nobel Prize Winning game theorist John Nash--talk about brilliant. Anyway, I finally get that movie now so I need to watch it again. That part where he's wandering around the yard watching pigeons and looking totally crazy...yeah that makes sense to me now, I'm not sure if that's good or bad. So the easiest way to understand game theory (for those of you who have seen the movie) is to think about what he says to the other guys in the bar about how they can pick up on the women and all succeed if they will all avoid the prettiest girl and go with the other ones. Like I said, game theory is useful. Oh actually I found the clip on youtube, here it is. Copyright infringement....uh....I'll hope that they consider it advertising---go rent the movie! So, for those of you who are always wondering what I do all day long...this is it, well part of it. Uh, not the bar/picking up on chicks part. But the surrounded by massive amounts of paper part thinking about game theory part. Yeah. I'm semi-worried that soon I'll be doing my own wandering and pigeogn pattern analyzing...but, if I win a nobel prize for it that'd be okay.

7 little remarks:

Brandon said...

I love A Beautiful Mind. What a fantastic movie.

And yet I'm somewhat hesitant to watch it again. It kind of freaks me out that Nash's world was as real to him as it was to us during the first half of the film.

The mind is a powerful thing.

Jessie said...

I also loved A Beautiful Mind, but have to agree with Brandon about the scariness of the power of the mind... I have an uncle very much like Nash--super genius, but such a schizophrenic that he has to take some major drugs that suppress his ability to reason. It's really, really sad. (He doesn't see people, but he does have them in his head, and it's as real to him as you or me... hard to understand, but this movie makes it all a little more real, I guess.)

So as long as your nonsense diagrams don't lead to schizophrenia, I guess I'm ok with you taking these classes, Anna. :) Good luck on your midterm!

Aliese Fry said...

I'm concerned about this professor who's PROUD to have his/her average be 62%!! Humble the man (or woman)...

Anna said...

don't worry Aliese...he's a nice professor, he curves the grades. And he admitted the exam ended up being harder than he anticipated. :)

Amy said...

I loved this movie but I don't think I will ever fully understand what you mean by "Game Theory". You are too smart! I hope all went well today.

Scarehaircare said...

Anna muttering and drawing strange things on the wall....isn't that normal? (sorry, Anna, door wide open and I could not resist)

Heather said...

Ha! This post makes me laugh!! A Beautiful Mind is a great movie! Good luck on your midterms, and good for you for continuing your education - I'm a college dropout! :) I'll think of you next time I see that movie!

And, BTW, yes, I do live in Tuscany...replying to your comment on my blog from a little while ago...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin