Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Best Things in Life are...

Free. Or designed by Vera Wang. Preferrably both.


Today our wedding present arrived from my Aunt Lauri and Uncle Jim, who entirely spoiled us. I'm soooooo glad they waited to get our wedding gift because so few have survived and its nice to have something special that reminds you of your wedding whenever you see it. My Aunt was very particular to want something nice and classic and very special. She didn't want something normal that I would get myself someday, but rather one of those things you always want but never can justify getting for yourself. (For me, when I have the budget, I like to get friends a cake platter for their wedding. Like these from Rosanna Inc. They are so versatile and classy and one of those things you never just go out and buy for yourself---instead you buy clothes for your kids or a new vegetable peeler.)



So in that spirit my Aunt insisted upon getting me china. I resisted because "I don't need china, I have other plates" and even because inside I was thinking "I didn't like the china I registered for very much, I really wanted the Vera Wang but it was too expensive." But she continued to insist. And my mother who knew my longing for the Vera Wang, told my Aunt, who bought it for me.


Now being the resourceful Aunt that she is, she found a great discount. And so my Aunt got me 8 sets of the 3 plates (the dinner plate, salad plate, and bread/dessert plate). My other option was 4 sets of those plates + 4 soup bowls. Can you believe the soup bowls cost as much as 3 plates!?


Needless to say I am giddy. I hope this doesn't sound like bragging. I'm just so happy. They are so lovely. So divine. And certainly something I wouldn't have bought myself for at least 20 years. Now we can slowly work on completing the set. My mom always used china for Sunday dinners and birthdays, even when we were kids. We had to be careful, but it really made us feel special when she whipped it out.



So here it is, I'm sure you are wondering what it looks like. How could you not?


The Vera Wang Grosgrain Ribbon Wedgewood China and a picture below, because I'm just that giddy. I'm so excited to slowly (and let me emphasize the slowly) collect the platters, soup bowls, and so forth. I wanted to include more, but I was having technical difficulties. If you want to see more pictures (but why would you, but maybe...curiousity?) they also sell it at Bed Bath and Beyond.

*Note: this picture is from Macys (the link is above). They sell the pattern. I hope that its okay to take the picture as long as I tell you where. Free advertising, right?




5 little remarks:

Aliese Fry said...

That's fabulous! I'm definitely looking forward to the day when I can purchase some pretty china to use on special days...My mom uses them for Fast Sunday and Thanksgiving.

Heather said...

Very nice! It's so great when you get things like that, that (like you said) you wouldn't buy yourself.

I loved it when Jarom and I would get late wedding presents - it's so fun when they just keep coming!

Tannie Datwyler said...

OH, that is so fun. I won't get china for 20 years, like you say. It really is beautiful.

Leilani said...

OOOooOoO....very nice. PS....we're coming soon...dun dun dun.

Phillip said...

So...I loved the china, but you did leave it at mom's place. Does that mean you won't be needing it anytime soon? ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin