Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Update on Life in Utah

Since everyone keeps asking "How are things in Utah?" or "How have things been since you got back?" I thought I'd let you know. I've been avoiding posting anything too personal regarding the job search and whatnot for fear a potential employer might google me and find something off-putting on my blog. But really, what is there to be put off by that is on my blog? I'm like Mary Poppins, "Practically perfect in every way."

So since I'm so fond of bulleted lists, here is one:
(I'll italicize the highlights so you don't have to read it all)

  • We are back and our stuff has made it safe and sound. Hallelujah!
  • We are staying at my grandma's house for a little while. She lives in assisted living so the house has been vacant. My brother and sister-in-law live in the basement and we live upstairs. We're still working on finding someone to take over our lease in Columbus before we sign one here in Utah (anyone...anyone...we'll pay the rent for May...can you tell I'm ready to be done with this)
  • Joe is back in the full swing of things and couldn't be happier. He's going on appointments like a madman and has written one deal and there's more to follow. I'm very proud of him and I'm sure things will just keep getting better.
  • We are planting a mega garden this year. My grandma has always been a big gardener (she's 93, or maybe 92? and had a garden just last year, crazy hard worker) We're super excited. And we're not planting zucchini so I promise not to pawn any off on you.
  • I am working at the Yarrow Resort in Park City while I look for a career path position. I take reservations from 3-11 at night, four days a week. Other than that I job hunt, send out resumes, and go on interviews. I've had some promising leads and even one job offer, but I haven't found the perfect job yet. But I'm very excited about some of the opportunities out there.
  • We have been busy. One thing we love about Utah is we have so much family and so many friends that we can almost always find something to do. We are very blessed that way and really appreciate our friends (oh and family. :)
  • I've been READING! I missed recreational reading so much. I read the Twilight series and I'm ready for something else. Suggestions? (As a side note: the commute to Park City for my temp job allows me to listen to Harry Potter on tape, which is seriously enjoyable)
  • In our ward here (ward=congregation at church for those of you who aren't Mormon) we are super young. I think 80% of the ward is over the age of 65. Everyone has been super friendly and we're glad to be there.
  • Generally, we just feel good about our decision to move back even though there are daily reminders of all the good things we left behind in Ohio (great friends, Jeni's Ice Cream, better freeway systems, diversity, green green everywhere, our cute apartment, stats classes, the Olentangy River Parkway, the RPAC, $5 symphony tickets, and a million other tiny things) we are reminded often of the great things about living in Utah (great friends, family, Kneaders, Ikea is close, BYU Arts performances, the beautiful mountains, and a million other tiny things like the memories you have at places all over the valley from a lifetime of living).

So that's it. That's what we're up to. That's how life has been since we got back. Can you see why I've been blogging about other things? (Also, things have been kind of slow at the hotel, which allows me to blog at work when the phone isn't ringing. Thus the spike in blogging as of late)

7 little remarks:

dibble family said...

Anna, you must be the cutest girl in the world. I loved this post! I'm glad that things are going so well! I want to get together with you guys and meet your new hubby!

Laura said...

i'm glad things are slow at work...i love the spike in your blogging! it's the opposite for me - the more homework i have, the more blogging i do. he, he.

Heather said...

I'm also glad that things are going so well for you & Joe! Your posts are so entertaining - I love it!

Aliese Fry said...

I'm enjoying the "spike" in blogging as well. It gives me something to read during SSR, read during Channel 1-please tell me you remember the joys of Channel 1-and helps me look busy when kids are taking tests/working quietly on their own.

Beazer said...

Just started the "Uglies" series. Really enjoyed the 1st one. I think you'll like them.

Christiansens said...

Hey Anna, I love your beautiful wedding pictures. Tiffany's mom married my dad, so she is my step sister. Where were you before you moved back to Utah

Christiansens said...

I HATE my hair, but thanks. Yea, I do a little bit of hair, just when my little gal is down for a nap.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin