Sunday, April 20, 2008

Walking Down Memory Lane

So I knew Aleise in high school and so reading her tag about senior year made me smile. Coming back to Utah and seeing my friends (some of whom I know from high school) always makes me reminisce (sp?) about high school. I actually had a great high school experience (middle school however is a dark time in my life I choose not to remember and keep hoping my children can skip it --- Tara you're a saint for teaching those middle schoolers, a saint I tell you). Oh so here's the survey.

1. Did you date someone from your school? I went on dates with mostly the same group of guys, over and over. I went out with Mark Hendricks and Joe Jones the most though. Though Joe and I couldn't date senior year because of seminary council---but we got together at the end of the year and dated til he left on his mission the September after graduation.

2. Did you win anything in Seniors Who's Who? Well I was Class Einstein (with Mark) and Most Likely to Be President of the United States(again with Mark) and I was English Sterling Scholar.

3. What kind of car did you drive? Oh goodness. "The Silver Bullet" Toyota Corolla 1980s hatchback with rust, no air conditioning, no power steering, a roof that leaks...it goes on and on. My kids are getting a clunker, I think it's a right of passage. It helped me appreciate my other cars later down the line.

4. It's Friday night...where are you? With friends, probably playing games in a park or scattergories at someones house. Maybe we're at the football game.

5. Were you a party animal? No. Lol. Definitely no. I hung out with the most goody two shoes group in town. We had fun, but nothing we did was party-esque at all. I actually am just not that fond of parties, I'd rather be in a small group of good friends than at a party.

6. Were you considered a flirt? Um, yes? Okay definitely yes. I wasn't the flirtiest girl in school, but I sure enjoyed it. In college I missed that noncommital flirtation.

7. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? Choir. I didn't make madrigals ::sob:: but I was in concert choir---choir tour, good times!

8. Were you a nerd? hahahahahahha yes. I took tons of AP classes, studied all the time, was in Model United Nations, etc etc... Though others informed me I was popular. I actually only thought the cheerleaders and jocks and ridiculously good looking people were popular. But I suppose our group of friends were kind of the social, cool nerds. At least that's how I choose to see it.

9. Did you get suspended/expelled? No, should have "ridden the Jaguar" and risked it, but I was weak sauce.

10. Can you sing the fight song? If we ran through it a time or two I probably could.

11. Who were your favorite teachers? Mr. Tucker --- crazy neurotic awesome English teacher and Mr. Hollinger, my hilarious biology teacher and Mr Dehaan who made music the most fun it has ever been.

12. Where did you sit during lunch? In the commons at the lunch table. Typical.

13.What was your school's full name? West Jordan High School.

14. School mascot? Go mighty jaguars go! (save your voice choir people...do you remember that?)

15. Did you go to Homecoming and who with? Bryan Crown. So in Utah we do this creative asking thing....if you don't know what I"m talking about maybe I'll explain it sometime. It is a bizarre cultural phenomenon, but a fun one. And I was kind of clueless that Bryan was asking me to the dance. I just thought someone was leaving flirtatious notes in my locker.

16. If you could go back and do it again, would you? Can I take my husband? If so, heck yes. If not, maybe. It was pretty fun and I guess I would meet Joe again eventually. It would be fun to relive high school knowing what I know now so I could revel in absolute financial freedom, my amazing body, the carefree lifestyle, and how much cooler I was than I thought I was. THAT would actually be even funner than the first time.

17.What do you remember most about graduation? That I felt lame in that hat. I remember singing the school song that Mr. Dehaan wrote, which is mega cheesy and seeing this one guy bawling his eyes out and thinking, hmmm. interesting. And I remember awesome Steve giving his speech with such enthusiasm.

18. Where did you go senior skip day? like Aleise said, we didn't have one.

19. Were you in any clubs? National Honor Society, Key Club, Peer Leadership Team, Model United Nations, Chess Club (or maybe that was just junior year), I'm forgetting something I'm sure.

20. Have you gained some weight since then? who hasn't. I was back to my high school weight in June 2006 and I'm trying to get back there again....if I didn't like sugar so much!

21. Who was your prom date? Craig Swenson. It was actually rather awkward because we didn't know eachother that well and we didn't really have a group. Junior year with Steve Dalton was awesome though.

22. Are you planning on going to your 10 year reunion? I think I will. I missed the 5 year, but 10 years would be sort of fun.

23. Do you still talk to people from school? Actually, a surprising number. Some of them come into your lives again in random ways (you know who you are Ariel Thrapp Defay!)

And thus I tag: Ariel, Brandon, Jessie, Heather, Amy B., Becky, Chelsey, Meredith, Jessica, Julie, Laura B., Tannie, Tara, Tiffany and anyone else I went to high school with....and anyone else who things this would be amusing. It really was.

3 little remarks:

Christie said...

Anna, you are just too cute! Did you know we went to HS with Mr. DeHaan? Know I feel old...

Scarehaircare said...

ha! I went to school with Mr. DeHaan (I certainly didn't call him that)and we were in the school musical together. We also had German class together. I love seeing him in Mo-Tab or at Hale Center Theater.

Heather said...

I'm going to do this - it's so much fun to read and take a trip "down memory lane" myself!
I also have to add - maybe you weren't the jock & cheerleader kind of popular - but you were definitely popular!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin