Thursday, April 24, 2008

When Life Hands You Lemons: Make Frozen Lemon Mousse

Today, after things slowed down at work I started surfing the web. Inspired by my cousin who is a great cook and was talking about recipes on her blog today, I decided to see what Martha Stewart had on her site right now. Now, often she has recipes that call for ingredients that I haven't even heard of and probably cannot afford. But this lemon mousse is actually pretty simple. It's definitely not low fat so we'll have to wait and make it for a special occasion when we have guests. Plus, isn't it just beautiful? I love lemon anything and I like creamy mousse, so this is wonderful. Also here are some links to some other cool (and often easy & cheap) recipes I found on http://www.marthastewart.com/

Other desserts:

Lemon Berry Pudding Cakes

This gives me yet another reason to finally purchase some ramekins. (For another reason check the Beazers blog with Brooke's awesome recipe for sweet potato pot pie). Plus I'm crazy about lemon/blueberry combinations in dessert---fabulous.



Little Lemon Souffles


I had to include this one. They are simply too cute. And with only 5 ingredients which are easily obtained, I'm going to have to make this for a dinner party. (And by dinner party I mean the next time we have one of you over for dinner. Though I've never made souffle....tricky, remember Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina? If you've made souffle, I could use some tips.)

Are you seeing a theme? If you see lemons crazy on sale, let me know. Or maybe I'll have to ride along with one of you to Costco or Sams Club.

Spring Shower Almond Petits Fours
If I have a little girl we are having these at her birthday party. When I was a little girl I read the "American Girl" series and when Samantha had these at her party I was so jealous. They are a lot of work, so no wonder my mom stuck with traditional cake. But they are so cute.







Regular Dinners (lots of these are 30 minute-60 minute recipes and simple)

Spinach Pea Soup

I want to try this soup because it is so beautiful, but the thought of pureed spinach and peas just makes me think of baby food. You know, the jars you try to feed a baby and they just make faces and spit it out. But then again, carrot soup tastes better than it sound.






Ricotta and Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts
These are fairly healthy and fairly easy to make. I'm excited to try them. I need more green leafy vegetables and I figure adding cheese and chicken makes it easier (and maybe I'll do a spinach salad on the side for a double dose!). Serve them with these roasted tomatoes (yum)

And because I always love another soup (particularly a soup that is easy, cheap, healthy, and can be eaten in all seasons) the last recipe is

Minestrone


I like cooking. Its fun. When I was in graduate school cooking was a very relaxing thing. And I felt so much better after eating good food. I'm so excited to get settled again and have everything in my kitchen where I want it and just enjoy planning meals. I like eating right and eating well.

3 little remarks:

Heather said...

I'm not much of a cooker, but I'm very tempted to try some of these recipes - especially the lemon ones! I love anything citrus-y. Thanks for the tips!

Aliese Fry said...

I, too, was very jealous of Samantha's petits fours!!! That was actually the first thought that popped into my head when I saw the picture...

Malinovka said...

I was hoping I could say I had actually made one of those recipes already, but, sadly, I haven't. Those lemon souffles look absolutely adorable. Isn't lemon just perfect with the nice weather? Be sure to blog about what you make and how it turns out!!!

Robyn :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin