Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How Does Your Garden Grow?

So if I haven't already mentioned, we are living at my grandmother's house this summer. She's in assisted living and the family wanted someone to live in her house just to watch over it. My brother and sister-in-law moved in back in February and I joined them mid-March. So we're here til the end of summer when Joe and I will be moving to Utah County.

So, because my grandma has hundreds of square feet of garden space and Joe loves to garden, we are gardening, like, a lot.
Here are our little seedlings and plants we bought.
This is the first Saturday of tilling, raking, adding peat moss...etc...etc...we were all a little sunburned and sore later.
But look how pretty the rows turned out. We planted spinach, lettuce, radishes, broccoli, two types of peas...and we still need to plant corn and green beans.
Here's a shot of her beautiful (and LARGE) yard.
Why I gave you another shot of this, I'm not sure.
And after one snowy weekend in early May (blast!) which slowed the sprouting seeds and nearly destroyed the tomato plants (even with the wall of water protecting them), here is a little sprout. I think this is a radish.
My cucumber plant. I'm very proud I coaxed this from a little seed. Actually I had two little pots, but one mysteriously just wilted and died on me. Anyone know why that might be?
I really would rather this one not die, especially now that it's in the ground.
Joe, looking all hot and sweaty.
The pepper patch. This is Joe's baby. He wants lots of peppers---guess we'll have a spicy summer, foodwise. We're actually going to make some salsa too.
Joe's eyes are closed, but I had to snatch a photo of him working for my scrapbook.
Our tomato plants from Walmart, hope we don't regret our cheapness, but they're doing good!
My sister-in-law Guzel planting the zucchini. I want nothing to do with the zucchini. I only use it for bread and cake and stuff...and I fear it will take over its patch of garden.
My brother Paul's attempt to take a "angry farmer and wife" photo of Joe and I. Good thing I didn't do my hair that morning, right?
Paul and Guzel's version of the same photo.
The real Paul and Guzel.
We're happy farmers, what can I say?
My Grandma has this HUGE patch of raspberry bushes. We haven't killed them yet. I doubt I'll be able to make jam as good as she did, but I'll attempt something. If I don't eat them all fresh first.
After a while with the camera things just got a little silly....


So there you have it. Our weekly Saturday gardening ritual. We're watering it, soon we'll be able to weed it without killing the plants, and just overall enjoying having a garden. We can't wait to harvest. Its actual been very good, healthy, fun.

If you have any gardening tips for me, leave a comment, we can use all the tips we can get. Also, I'm worried about bugs---should I be doing something to prevent bugs from eating my veggies? I know nothing, so advise away.

4 little remarks:

Leilani said...

We got a lot of slugs in our tomatoes last year so this year we've been saving our eggs shells (cleaned/rinsed) to crush and put by the plants. Good luck!

Aliese Fry said...

Way to go, Joe and Anna! I'm completely jealous that you have space for a vegetable garden. We have a pretty large herb garden (a 5x3 ft. planter box) on our front porch, but there's really no room in the backyard for anything; nor does sun actually grace our backyard area. Enjoy your fun garden; I hope you get lots and lots of vegetables! I'm likin' Joe's pepper patch idea; fresh salsa is awesome.

Graham & Heather said...

Way to go! I think gardens are really so beautiful, especially in late July and August. Good luck with it!

Jessie said...

I love that I'm not the only one excited about gardening this year... I'm putting ours in TODAY! I'm so excited. No lettuce or peas until the fall of course (I decided to have a baby in March instead of planting... silly me, I know...) I am doing a bunch of the other stuff you wrote about, including the peppers... I love fresh salsa, and lately we've been doing fajitas a lot, so some homegrown bell peppers would be fantastic. And I also only use zucchini for breadlike stuff, but I love it so much I'm willing to do it. And pumpkins... I am SO excited!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin