Tuesday, May 6, 2008

How To Boil Water

I'm sure you're all thinking "Wow, this is going to be an informative post" while rolling your eyes. But actually How to Boil Water: life beyond takeout is the title of a cookbook I just picked up from Barnes an Noble ($15.00, hardbound). It has lots of pretty pictures and useful recipes.


Some of it is VERY basic and I mean, VERY. There's a recipe for how to bake a potato for heavens sake (which is useful, because I'm always wondering...wait...how long is this going to take to bake?) I feel like I'm in Foods class back in high school. There is some super basic stuff like "how to separate eggs" or "how to test if a cake is done" but there's also "how to scrape seeds out of a vanilla bean" and even a useful chart on what types of meat come from what parts of the animal and what it can be used for (stew meat comes from "chuck" which is near the head of the cow, for example.) It has some recipes for me to start cooking fish (pan-fried salmon with cucumber-radish salad) and a good starting risotto recipe. It also has some good basics like salsa, guacamole, some salad dressing recipes, etc.

It's a cool book. I recommend you check it out.

6 little remarks:

Tannie Datwyler said...

That title is hilarious. It sounds like a good book though. I am always looking for new recipes, but for some reason actual published cookbooks confound me. I LOVE recipes from friends though. As for the same weight as High School - I have no idea how that happened. I get stressed really easily and when I am busy I DON'T eat, and that is opposite of a lot of people.

Amy said...

I have heard of this book. I am sure it will come in handy. There are many times that a simple guide on how to do simple things really is nice.

Tannie Datwyler said...

Okay, so I didn't realize when you wrote that High School tag that you actually tagged me. I read people's blogs, but I have about 30 linked to mine and I try my hardest to keep up with everyone's but I unavoidably miss some posts by people. I read that on Jessie's blog and saw you sent it to her, so I finally hunted yours down and read it - fun. You are right - no group for Prom when you were a senior, you were just with Devin and me. I liked him a lot, but it was like 2 weeks later when he started going out with my best friend. High School makes me laugh.

Heather said...

Thanks for the review! This sounds like a great book for me since it usually takes me forever to make a "simple" recipe. I'll definitely check it out!

Aliese Fry said...

I'm definitely going to make a note of this...I think it'd be a great gift for my brother when he leaves on his mission...in two years...But still!

Mardi & Jeremey said...

Hi, how are you!?!
I love cookbooks like this. They can be SO helpful. I really like your blog! It is good to see you are doing well! Feel free to check mine out: jeremeyandmardi.blogspot.com

-Mardi

Blog Widget by LinkWithin