Monday, May 19, 2008

My Cookbook Part I -- Lemon Herb Chicken and Gravy


Many of my recipes that I use are on the internet. So whenever I cook I have to bring my laptop into the kitchen and I'm always worried I'm going to spill chicken broth on it or something. So I was delighted to discover that Blurb also has a cookbook template. What a brilliant idea: my own cookbook filled with all the recipes I love most!


So I'm going to take pictures as I cook and hopefully about a year from now I'll have enough pictures and recipes to make my own little cookbook.

So here's recipe number one. I just tried it yesterday and I liked it a lot. The Food Network website calls it "Chicken and Gravy" but that is boring, I would call it Lemon Herb Chicken and Gravy. It was pretty easy and is not too calorie laden. They didn't post the nutrition facts on this one, but look it over, it's pretty harmless. I served it with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed carrots and broccoli. Joe gave it two thumbs up. (Oh and I also doubled it so there'd be leftovers)
Chicken and Gravy
Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine
Show: Cooking Live
Episode: Fowl Play: Chicken Breast Dinners

1 garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme

4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1 whole chicken breast (about 3/4 pound), halved

1/3 tablespoon vegetable oil

1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter

1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth

1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley leaves

In a shallow bowl stir together garlic paste, thyme, and 3 teaspoons lemon juice. Add chicken, turning to coat, and marinates, covered, 15 minutes. Pat chicken dry. In a 9-inch heavy skillet heat oil and butter over moderately high heat until foam subsides and saute chicken, skin side down, until golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken with tongs to a plate. Add flour to skillet and cook roux over moderately low heat, whisking, 3 minutes. Whisk in broth and remaining teaspoon lemon juice in a stream, whisking until gravy is smooth. Return chicken to skillet with any juices accumulated on plates and simmer, covered, 15 minutes, or until springy to the touch and just cooked through. Stir in parsley and serve over rice.

3 little remarks:

CJ said...

I made these yesterday and looooved them: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Crumb-Muffins/Detail.aspx.

Steve and Kristen Weller said...

Anna and JOE BERGEVIN? as in Joe and Hiedi Bergevin from Kearns? As in Joe who sang in the acappella group the KORDS at Kearns High who was friends with my brother BJ Weller? Wow. What a small world. Congrats, guys, that's awesome! You two already make a great pair, and your family will be so wonderful!

Jessie said...

I think you need a different word for gravy... it doesn't sound elegant enough for Lemon Herb Chicken. Sounds delicious, though.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin