Friday, May 16, 2008

Rewarding Myself---Soooo far beyond sticker charts

When I was a little girl my mom was all about sticker charts. She still teases me and asks me if I want her to make me a sticker chart. I'd get stickers for brushing my teeth, stickers for making my bed...etc... and I believe I got rewards when I got a certain number of stickers, but maybe the sticker itself was a reward!! (tangent: do you remember to Book It Club and the personal pan pizza awards!? can I tell you how proud I was every time I got to go get my free pizza that I had earned by READING!!!)

So I have been job hunting for weeks. Like 6 weeks or something. Checking sites, sending out resumes, going to interviews, getting turned down. ....oh the horror of it all. And in the end I ended up with several excellent prospects. And finally, this week I accepted a job offer (on Wednesday, the 7th) but I didn't want to blog about it until all the necessary paperwork went through (what can I say, sometimes I'm a pessimist. And I didn't want to tell the whole blogging world and then have to retract my statement).

So I have a job. At BYU. In the political science department. I'd been thinking "what would my dream job be right now" and I thought "I wish I could be a full-time research assistant, but they don't have those" alas I must be grown up and find a less interesting but more realistic job. Then I emailed my undergrad mentor to tell him I'd dropped out of grad school so he'd know when people called him for references, and he told me about this awesome job opening. Well I applied for it and then through this mix up I thought I'd gotten shot down for it (turns out it was another Dan in another department at BYU shooting me down...). Then on Wednesday they called me in for an interview and offerred me the job.

So I'll be working on the PLAID project (Project Level Aid), which is research/data gathering on international development. It's very cool and amazingly they will pay me to do this! I will be gathering data from various sources, helping organize it, ummm its kind of hard to describe. But lets just say it will be cool. It's ideal, I can still do research and political science and stats, but under much less pressure than my PhD program.

It really is nothing short of a miracle that this job opened up at the time it did and that I had the right connections to hear about it. Positions like this are rare at BYU (it takes a pretty big grant to afford full-time research associates), I feel very blessed. So there you go.

And because I promised myself that once I got a job I could finally go repurchase coordinating bedding that I liked, I did. Now its not my dream bedding (because I can't afford beautiful bedding with 500+ threadcount duvet covers, but Martha has some beautiful stuff at Macy's now if you are so inclined), but it is a bedding set from IKEA with matching pillows and duvet (several sets of pillows even!). Here's the catalog photo of the bedding we got (and I really want the bed frame too....someday). I'll send you a photo when we get it all together in our room. I love climbing in my bed now---and I love MAKING my bed now because it looks so pretty. This isn't the best photo, but you get the idea. and yes, I might have an obsession with black and white everything.

I'm happy. I've been waiting for our room to feel more like us for a long time. Everything has been rather hodge-podge since last fall. But its slowly coming together and I'm quite enjoying it. And I'm employed. Things are definitely improving. :)

9 little remarks:

Felicity said...

Congrats on the job! That's awesome :)

Brandon said...

Weird how often liberals end up in university polysci departments. :)

But congrats! I'm glad your job hunting is over... what a pain.

Aliese Fry said...

Yay for awesome jobs and new, gorgeous bedding.

Blenda said...

Congratulation!! Your bedding choice is awesome!! I have also gorgeous design of Beyond Bedding...

Laura said...

I heard the good news from Brooke, so I've been waiting for you to post about it...congrats!! (and cute bedding, by the way.)

Scarehaircare said...

That is beyong coincidence. You deserve it. Congrats!

Love the bedding.

Leilani said...

Congrats on the job! I'm jealous of the bedding!

Amy said...

Awesome slam dunk of a job! I can be patient, too, and land a good one. :)

Amy said...

Congratulations on the job! I am sure you are glad the hunt is over. You will have to tell us how you like it.
I love the bedding!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin