Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Becoming a Morning Person


I wish I were a morning person. Sincerely. I love being up and alert in the morning. But try as I might I have never been able to retrain my biological clock. But this article I found online gave me hope. So I'm trying it out: going to sleep whenever I feel tired, and waking up the same time every day. Typically I am a night person. I've always been most productive between the hours of 10pm and 2am. I'd like to shift that to being most productive from 6-10am or even...gasp...5am-9am so I could shift my workout to the morning. Wouldn't that be glorious?
How bout you guys...are you morning people? Have you always been? Is it always a struggle? Do you have any good tips?

[image: sxc.hu]

11 little remarks:

Felicity said...

I'm a morning AND a night person--just don't try to catch me in the afternoons...Zzzz...

I find that dragging my butt out of bed for a morning workout TOTALLY wakes me up. I'm always much more refreshed after a 3 mile run. GO FOR IT!

Holly Strong said...

I am not a morning person. I wish I was, since I could get so much more accomplished in the wee hours. The days I do get up early are nice, but I need a nap around 10. LOL

Colby and Meredith said...

I am SO much a morning person- totally not a night person! As long as I can remember I have always got up early, but I often struggle to stay awake late at night. I've read that article before that you posted about- good stuff!

Graham & Heather said...

I'm not a morning person and wish I were as well. The thing that helps me get up and workout is doing it with someone else, not my husband. I had a neighbor I would work out with and now I walk with my mom. It seems that if someone else motivates you to get up you do and it helps go to bed earlier too.

Knowles Family said...

I am totally a morning person, but it's so, so hard when you don't get sleep at night. I'm not a napper, so I have to sleep at night to get up, but once I'm up I LOVE it.
My only suggestions are-force yourself out of bed, work out, take a shower and get dressed. That's all it takes for me and I am up and READY!

JcbMyHntz said...

I think I am a hybrid morning person. Meaning on they days I need to be up early, I can get up when my alarm goes off (5:45 a.m.) However, on the days I don't necessarily need to be out of bed so early, I have no problem with turning off the alarm clock and sleeping another two hours. What helped me the most to respond to my alarm clock was to move it away from the side of the bed. I put it by the plug that was closest to the door. That way to turn it off I was already out of bed and felt like I might as well get ready for the day. I also believe using my cell phone with a more pleasant wake-up noise helps than rather being scared by the blaring beeps of a standard alarm clock.

Tiff said...

http://phy3blog.googlepages.com/Beta-Blogger-Label-Cloud.html

It's a pretty easy process to follow, although it takes a bit of time.

Marcia said...

So sorry to tell you that I didn't help you genetically at all! Getting up at 5:30 every morning for almost 2 years did reset my clock finally, but it took months and months to get there. And now that I am a lazy person, I can sleep as long as I want to, again. But you can do it, and you have already started!

Amy said...

I am not a morning person right now but I used to be. I think if I were able to get more sleep at night I would be a morning person with ease. Maybe someday

Charayne said...

I wish I could be a morning person, but alas I am not--NIGHT time is so productive for me! Unfortunately my little one is a morning person....so....maybe I should study that artice??? You will have to let me know...I love morning time though and once I kick start my system I am fine.

Mandi said...

Have a baby, LOL. But seriously, I've NEVER been a morning person, but something about getting up and taking care of a sweet smiley baby, even if it is at 5:30 or 6 every morning, just puts me in a good mood. :)

PS: I was really interested in the link to polyphasic sleep. Pretty cool!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin