Saturday, June 14, 2008

Beef Enchiladas

So in my continued cooking quest I have attempted enchiladas several times. Once trying to use leftover turkey from thanksgiving (BAD IDEA no matter what those cooking reviews on allrecipes.com say). So when we went to the Bailey's for dinner in Ohio and she made these great enchiladas I had to get her recipe. I've tweaked them a little bit. I added black beans, I messed up and put the olives inside instead of on top, I also used an onion when browning the ground beef and avoided sour cream because I hate it. What I like about this recipe is you don't have to measure exactly you just kind of throw it all in (in fact I measured nothing...I used less cheese than it calls for, for sure). I used canned enchilada sauce and I'm never trying to make my own again. I had such bad experiences making my own sauce (which I think we did last time...either that or it was terrible canned sauce) that this time I went and I bougth the "expensive stuff" (which, you should not is only a dollar more and totally worth it). I can't remember the name of it, but it is in a yellow can and says "America's Favorite Enchilada Sauce" and the sauce is more orange than red.

Anyway Joe raved, I declared they were the best enchiladas I ever had, and what's even better is how much it made. I ended up making 2- 8x8 pans (one of which I froze to use later) and another loaf pan with 3 enchiladas. Then I ran out of tortillas and so I put the rest of the inside mixture in a ziploc which we used like a week later (and which made a 9x13 and an 8x8...endless enchiladas I tell you). Talk about bang for your buck. So make them if you like mexican food. The best thing is that the filling is so flavorful you don't have to load on the cheese like they do at some mexican restuarants (which makes it healthier). I haven't dared make them with whole wheat tortillas (which would make it even healthier), but I will next time. Let me know how it goes if you try them. Oh and here's the recipe:

2 cans enchilada sauce (red)
Black olives (optional)
12 oz cheddar cheese
12 oz montererey jack cheese
1 ½ cups picante sauce/salsa
1-1 ½ lbs shredded chicken or beef (cooked)
8-12 tortillas (depending on size)
Sour cream (for serving)

Combine cooked meat of choice and picante sauce. Put cheese in a separate container and lay everything out on the table or counter- Tortillas, enchilada sauce ( in a flat bowl to dip tortillas in), meat with sauce, cheese and baking dish (sprayed or oiled first).

Dip the tortillas into the enchilada sauce; add meat mixture and cheeses, roll into an enchilada and put into a 9x13 inch baking dish. After making all of the enchiladas, pour remaining enchilada sauce over them. Sprinkle as much additional cheese over the top as desired. Olives go on top of that (if you want them.) Bake at 350 F, for 25 minutes or until bubbly and yummy looking! Serve with sour cream or topping of choice. Enjoy!

*You can use any kind of cheese you want.
*This recipe works great for freezing.
Posted by Picasa

4 little remarks:

Holly Strong said...

Okay, so that recipe is nice and all, but you didn't add as an option, your tweaks...did you put corn in it? Also, you mentioned you put olives in, I can see them.....did you just put black beans in, it looks like maybe another bean inside there, or I'm seeing things....LOL

Anna said...

I did mention everything but the corns...woops. Yeah I did add a can of corn and a can of black beans. Other than that I didn't add anything extra....the rest of my tweaks should be mentioned at the top.

Scarehaircare said...

Perfect, I have leftover chicken. Try adding hominy in place of corn, we love that stuff. There is a local tortilla company that makes the best whole wheat or is it whole grain tortillas. There is a large amount of fiber and little fat and they taste amazing. I will try to remember the name for you. I usually found them at Walmart.

Malinovka said...

It has been such the hunt to find the best enchilada recipe. I definitely need to try this one!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin