Sunday, June 15, 2008

Cloth Diapers are All the Rage

At least in Joe's family. Joe's sister Joanna started using cloth diapers with her 5th child and they are the cutest thing you'll ever see. Then Heidi had a baby 2 months ago and she's a total cloth diaper evangelist. I think Joe's other sister Gretel is going to use them on her next baby. And they've got me convinced that we should try it when we have a baby. It's a little pricey to get started, but once you do you save tons of money (when I was looking for a picture for this post one site said that in the 2.5 years your child wears diapers you can save anywhere from $800-$1600 using cloth rather than disposable). Plus they are so much better for the environment (don't worry I judge no one who uses disposable diapers and note I said that we will TRY them when we have a baby...I may cave and use regular disposables). Apparently kids who wear cloth also get diaper rash less frequently... I'm sure you could read up and discover many other pluses of using them. And they swear that cleaning them is not that big of a deal...trust me, many family get together conversations have surrounded these diapers and I'm convinced they may be doable.

Well Heidi and Joanna are so in love with the cloth diapers they've decided to learn to make their own. So they are throwing a diaper making class taught by the woman who they currently buy their diapers from. To buy these style of diapers costs $15-$20, but making them only costs about $5 a diaper. And they are seriously hightech...no more piece of cloth and safety pin business. So they need to get a group of girls together who are interested in the class. It's like $30 dollars and you get the pattern, the class, and a free diaper out of it. So I thought I'd blog about it and if you are interested I'll put y'all in touch. If you are interested, but don't want to make your own check out this site. These look like the ones they use. Apparently the type of diaper you get makes a big difference because they have not been as happy with some of the others. Anyway the picture is from that site.

8 little remarks:

JcbMyHntz said...

Hello! I'm Jacob Hintze's wife and we are expecting in October. I am very intrigued by this cloth diaper thing. I would like to attend this class when you have it. When you find out more information, go to our blog and leave the info. http://jandchintze.blogspot.com Thanks!

Tiff said...

I looked at gdiapers.com for a while, I liked the idea of throwing part of the diaper away, but reusing the other. But it turns out the "flushables" are more expensive than just a regular disposable. I'd be interested in checking it out, although I can't imagine my husband cleaning a cloth diaper. At all.

Holly Strong said...

Let me know! I wanted to do cloth with Tanner but Davis was not for it.....he changed way to many with the twins and McKell. LOL But I wouldn't mind having some on hand. :) I like diaposable when you travel anywhere though.

Colby and Meredith said...

I've never heard about this type of diaper- but it sounds interesting. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out when we have a baby.

Tannie Datwyler said...

I don't think I could do cloth diapers while I am pregnant. I can't hardly change Claire's diapers with disposable ones without almost puking. Sad huh? Not to be able to change your own baby. I survive most the time, but Richard always does it when he is home.

Tannie Datwyler said...

Besides - Claire has toddler tummy - not pleasant with even disposable. I wish I could do it to save the money, because I'll have two in diapers soon. Better potty train Claire. . .

Christiansense said...

That actually is very cute, but all the stories my mom tells me about having to clean them out in the toilets when you are at church just freaks me out a little. Very tempting though.

Lee and Marie said...

I don't have babies yet... but I am interested in coming to the class and getting the pattern, etc. Please let me know! :) Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin