Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I am not the King of Kong...but someone is

After reading on Stephanie's blog recently when she mentioned the movie "King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" I knew we'd have to check it out. Imagine my delight that it was on netflix on demand so tonight after getting home at 8:30 at night we decided to check it out (so much better than made-for-summer television shows---though actually I've been watching very little of either lately).

Seriously, how can you not laugh at a guy who compares his skill in Donkey Kong to the Red Baron of WWII, especially when he also blowdried his hair? How can you not stare in shock at Mr. Satan with long hair who claims he's garnered more attention than Helen of Troy? How can you not love a guy who is a middle school teacher that beats said Satan figure! How can you not laugh at all these guys whose lives are so devoted to a classic videogame? It was delightful (and yes, I know I use that word in nealy every blog post, I can't help it if it applies to my daily life).

Personally, "Burgertime" is my game of choice when we go to the Nicklecade and we need to go again soon. They have nothing like Nickelcade in Ohio and if you are going in Utah the Provo/Orem location is far superior to the Salt Lake ones. Go, play $10 worth of nickles (which is like 100-200 games), laugh your head off, use lots of hand sanitizer, and leave with some candy and glow in the dark stars that you bought with all your tickets from Skiball. What a great, cheap date. Plus you'll get to see some middle school kids go wild on Dance Dance Revolution, which is always amusing.

So there you go. A great movie selection brought to my attention by Stephanie's ever awesome blog. I feel like a total lurker following Stephanie's blog because I didn't get to know her that well during my 7 months in Ohio, but if you're going to lurk someone's blog hers is a good choice. She's always so creative and amazingly talented and will never fail to help you add to your list of cool things to see and do.

So I guess this turned into a movie review and blog review...but I just feel like I must give credit where credit is due. Stephanie is great and so is Steve Wieber---the true King of Kong.

2 little remarks:

Colby and Meredith said...

That movie sounds absolutely funny! Definitely want to see it sometime. And as for the Nickelcade- I've always been wary of the one here by my place in Murray. Whenever I drive past it looks kinda creepy. Maybe one day Colby and I will go...

Funk Master B said...

"Um... excuse me but there is a potential killscreen over at the donkey kong machine if anyone is interested."

Classic!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin