Monday, July 14, 2008

"It's too late to call your jive" (Mondegreen)


You should know, I am one of those people who has a very hard time listening to music without listening to the lyrics. I know some people can listen to whatever they want regardless of what the words are saying, but as for me, it is a curse I deal with every day!
So recently Anna and I were driving in the car and I was singing a song that was stuck in my head. "It's too late to call your jive, it's too late!" Anna just started laughing and said, "what are the lyrics to that song?" Give me a break, you listen to this song and tell me those aren't the words!
So, I just found out from a friend yesterday that there is an actual word for this concept of misunderstanding lyrics: mondegreen. So I checked it out today and merriam-webster.com is having a little contest (well apparently a contest with no prize) to encourage people to submit their most embarrassing mondegreen. Give it a shot!

0 little remarks:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin