Monday, July 28, 2008

Quick Marinara Sauce

I am not a super big fan of store bought spaghetti sauce (I always splurge and buy Bertolli) but because I'm trying to especially pinch my pennies until I get paid on Thursday, I had to use what I had in the house. I have already blogged about how I am in love with my How to Boil Water cookbook, and I'm telling you it has the simplest recipes, easy to follow instructions, and appetizing pictures that make me want to eat my veggies. Today there were no fresh veggies to be had in the house but I guess there are tomatoes in the house so that helps.

I am a fan of pasta at 1/2 off. This pasta tastes totally normal but has the calcium of a glass of milk and 3 times the fiber of regular pasta. I've sworn off white pasta in most cases, but here I made an exception.
Here is our beautiful, yet simple dinner. I feel bad there are no green vegetables here, but hey, at least it isn't pizza, right?
And the sauce, with basil I grew myself (with Helena's assistance). Herb garden lesson learned - plant indoors so bugs don't eat all your herbs.
Posted by Picasa

And in case you are curious here's the recipe, super simple. Here are my modifications:

Okay so I had like a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes with garlic so I used that instead. I didn't have an onion so I just omitted that. I cut the olive oil to 1 tablespoon. I didn't have fresh thyme (curses bugs who ate it) so I used dried. And I forgot the black pepper, woops. I also added a can of tomato paste because I like it thick. And I didn't really simmer it very long...apparently I just disregarded most of the instructions. But it turned out great and was really easy. I recommend you try it, or your version of it and leave that Ragu in the food storage.

1 little remarks:

Michael-Jennifer-Adam said...

How were you able to link a previous post to this current post?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin