Sunday, July 6, 2008

Read it, You'll Love It

Today I am teaching 13 and 14 year old in Sunday School, where we study the Book of Mormon (at least this year, some years we study the New Testament (Bible), some the Old Testament (Bible), and some we study the Doctrine & Covenants and Pearl of Great Price (other books of revelation that we study)). It is always challenging to prepare a lesson for young teenagers, trying to make the stories relevant for their lives and getting them to pay attention. But one of the most rewarding things about teaching is the blessing of all you learn while preparing it. Lately no matter who I am teaching in church (whether it be 14 year olds or 74 year olds)I try to stick to the fundamentals of what we believe: Love others. Serve other people. Have faith that there is purpose in life, especially its challenges. Have faith that there is a power that can make all the things wrong in this life somehow right. Religion gives me such comfort and joy.

Today's lesson teaches about living your life so you can enter into the "rest of the Lord" and I just wanted to say that the reason I go to church and the reason I modify the way I live my life according to the standards the gospel teaches is because of that rest. There is nothing like the peace and joy I feel when I live my life this way. I will do anything to keep that peace.

May I recommend that you read the Book of Mormon if you haven't already done so. I know not everyone that reads my blog are members of my church (though many of you are) and I am not one to be pushy regarding my religion. But I just wanted you to know that my faith is the source of so much of my happiness. And the Book of Mormon is a central component of that religion. I for one need to be better about reading it regularly.

The power and peace that come from reading it are hard to convey and it must be difficult to comprehend for those who have not read it. It is more than just another book though. It is amazing. There are so many rumors and discussion out there about the validity of the Book of Mormon, but I must say that the only way to truly know what to think about them is to give the book an honest read yourself. The bible says that "by their fruits ye shall know them" and the Book of Mormon is truly the fruit of our church. It answers so many of life's questions. It is remarkable. I'm so glad that I got asked to teach Sunday School today so that I could spend more time delving into the sermons and stories within it.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone.

2 little remarks:

Charayne said...

I agree with you that when you get to teach something it really helps you personally. I teach primary and I gave the girls a challenge to read Alma Chapter 32. To have faith and do the things required to find a testimony and help it grow. (they are growing seeds and watching them grow...then they get a pizza party) but it has been fun to see them experience that, and it in return has helped me. Thank you for this post, I too take comfort in the gospel and the peace it brings me. (Esp. as of late) :)You're amazing and I can't wait until we get together again!

Leilani said...

I love hearing testimonies. Thank you for yours.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin