Sunday, July 6, 2008

Return and Report, and moving forward

I am happy to say that my forrays into becoming a morning person have been mildly successful. I know that if I really focus on going to bed when I'm tired and not letting myself stay up to blog, read a book, work, or do anything else then that will help. And I need to choose a wakeup time and stick with it. But there were one or two days so far that I woke up BEFORE my alarm. Which as you must know is remarkable. So that plan I referred to before actually did work. So, since I'm having some success in changing the way I see myself in at least one fundamental way, I thought I'd tackle another.

After reading my cousin's blog posts lately about my her beginning running excursions it has rekindled my spark of a desire to become a runner (and my desire to find another way to release myself from my self-imposed stereotypes -- i.e. non-running, non-morning person, non-artistic...so on and so forth). So many people I know are runners. You, Felicity have become a runner. So has our friend Brooke. So have many many of my friends. And though I tried multiple times, including a few years ago, to run, I have never succesfully regularly done so. I keep wishing I could go to sleep and wake up as one of those people who can't sleep without putting in a 30-45 minute run, but alas Professor Harold Hill's revolutionary "think system" was, indeed, a scam, and my thinking has amounted to little more than me being an excellent walker, eliptical rider, cycler, and couch potato. But I think I'm ready to make a plunge.

I'm at a time in my life where I want to run. I'm inspired by those around me. And best of all, my lifestyle right now allows me to make time to run (I'm super busy, but my life is more structured than it was during school which makes it easier to run). Plus its summer! And I love being outside. Plus it is easier to go for a run outside than it is to haul my but to the gym.

Unfortunately, I am still slightly scared of running (mostly scared I will fail, yet again, never to try once more). I need some help so I can relabel myself as a runner and get myself into shape. All tips are welcome, but here are some specific inquiries:

How do I avoid shin splints?

How do I avoid those annoying pains in my side? These are one of the reasons I have hated running. People says "breathing correctly" but how am I supposed to know how to do it correctly when clearly my instinct is to do so incorrectly.

Does anyone know a good place online where I can track my running skills/times/progress?

What is the best system you can think of for becoming a runner? (I searched on google and came up with no fewer than 8 million results, lol). Please note you are advising someone who hated the 12 minute run in gym class and has still never come to appreciate it even when it isn't forced. Also note, however, that I do love the elliptical. I can push myself to do a good half our on that thing at a good pace, but I'd rather be outside.

Where can I get good running shoes, I hear this is critical?

What kind of music do you listen to on your ipod? What should I listen to on my ipod? I have some thoughts and they already make me smile.

Where can I go online to track out good running routes?

Do you want to run with me? Having running buddies can always helps.

Any other good tips? I'm counting on your wisdom.

Thanks!

8 little remarks:

Laura said...

you should try "couch to 5k." just google it and you can find the whole plan. i did it, and if you stick with it, you'll ease yourself into running a 5k in no time!

Scarehaircare said...

www.coolrunning.com has the couch potato to 5K program.

Shin splints can be avoided with running shoes. A real running store (not a mall shoe store that sells athletic shoes) will have the machinery and the knowledge to get you the right shoes. They will be spendy but you are paying for their expertise. They can also help with strides. Google running store and your area and a bunch should come up. Check out more than one. The one that really wants to keep your business will treat you like gold and give you great service. They know they can't compete with Foot Locker on prices so they go above and beyond with help.

Breathing will come. Mine took two weeks before I felt like I wasn't drowining. As for side aches, you might be trying to much. The run/walk program that is the couch-potato-to=5K program will help you pace yourself better.

I have decided to take the Church's advice and unplug my run. No ipod. I use the time to meditate. It really clears my head.

www.runnersworld.com has everything from tracking your miles to weightloss to blogs to advice. There is even a beginners page link at the top of the home page. I have loved this resource so much that I bought a two year subscription. Some of the articles are way over my head technically, but most of it is very informative and motivating.

Last, google running and your area and look for a local club or a page that will list all of the races. Pick a 5K in 12 weeks (or come stay with me and run in September) and use that as your training goal.

Congrats to you! I love brcoming an athlete. :)

Colby and Meredith said...

Good for you Anna! We bought some running shoes for Colby a couple of months ago at a place called Wasatch Running. The closest one I know of is in Sandy on 9000 S. and State Street. The staff was very knowledgable and helpful. There's my two cents for you!

Harlan said...

Was searching tips for shoes shopping when I got your post & I really like it.

J said...

First become a walker, then a jogger and then a runner. Enjoy each phase! I got a treadmill and it helped a lot. I don't like shaking my fanny in front of people on the street. But being outside in parks and hikes is nice.

Jess said...

Congrats on becoming a morning person and for taking up running! Sadly, I have no tips for you because I am far from being a runner, or exerciser... :)

Brooke said...

Hey, that's fabulous about you becoming a morning person! And the desire to run is definitely the first step to becoming a runner.

The second most successful step for me was to get a running buddy, or several if that motivates you. The best part about it is even if they don't go one day- just thinking they would be there got you up and out of the house.

I would also say mediation is great, and I love that part of my run, however it took me a while to get there and run without anything else distracting me- I love listening to Wicked when I run, and also listening to conference talks on my Ipod- that helps me focus on something else other than that my side hurts or my legs are tired.

Those are Brooke's tips for successful running. But honestly, that's great, let me know how it goes, or if you want to run while you're here in Provo sometime!

Aliese Fry said...

Anna, you are SO MOTIVATED! I am rather jealous. You're just so great at grabbin' life and runnin' with it! Sadly, I'm extrinsically motivated rather than intrinsicly... I should would on that.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin