Monday, July 14, 2008

What a Weekend

This weekend Joe and I attended two funerals. One for Joe's mission president who passed away from cancer. And one for my friend Craig who tragically drowned a little over a week ago. Craig was 25. So young. And so amazing. Perhaps I should have spent more time this past week mourning, but instead I spent the past week uplifted and recharged to be a better version of myself. I spent the past week laughing at memories of Craig.

Craig wasn't perfect, but he was remarkable. He was the kind of person who left a lasting impression, and it was a good one. Craig's family created a blog to so that others could post and pay tribute to the amazing man that he was, reading that blog made me smile remembering how enjoyable it was to be around Craig. And reading that blog made me want to try harder in my life. Attending his funeral was one continual crying and laughing fest that left me so motivated and inspired it was incredible. What a sense of humor he had, so I shouldn't have been surprised that his family did too. They brought that humor into the funeral while sharing all the things they'd loved most about Craig and emphasizing gospel principles that guided Craig's life. There was sadness, there were tears, but mostly there was remembrance of all the good he did in his short time here on earth. And I left that funeral a better person.

I love that a funeral reminds me of all that is good in this world, of all that really matters, and of all that I should let go of. It reminds me why I'm here and what I should be about. And Craig's funeral in particular reminded me of all of those things and at the same time reminded me that God also wants us to have joy in the journey.

I held off on writing this post for a while, not sure if it was too personal or if anyone would want to read it. But then I decided that its my blog and its something that really will have a lasting impact on me. And so I share with you all.

To get a taste of what I speak of check out Craig's memorial blog; even if you don't know him you can't help but smile and be inspired by what everyone has shared.

At the very least here were Craig's written goals in life, I love them all, especially the last one:

1. People are always more important.

2. Do what you need to do when you need to do it whether you want to or not.

3. I am not a victim, ever. [editorial note: Craig lost his right hand when a firecracker exploded in it. 2 days later he returned to school determined to continue on with his life goals]

4. Purity is power.

5. Leave it better than when you found it.

6. Life is a joy, a journey in becoming like my Heavenly Father.

7. Live with purpose.

6 little remarks:

Tannie Datwyler said...

Those are great thoughts about Craig. I loved the funeral too and felt the same way. I want to do so much better and it's amazing that a funeral gave me that. My friend had her mission president pass away - I wonder if it was the same mission as Joe.

Joe said...

Mine was Michael R. Hinckley from the England Birmingham Mission.

Tiff said...

I'm all teary-eyed...

I too love how LDS funerals tend to lift you up rather than bring you down to dwell in the sorrow of life.

I didn't really know Craig at all, but I see what you mean about him being a fantastic person. Those goals are super motivating! Thanks for sharing. :)

Ariel said...

Craig's death left me with the sense of renewall in my life as well. I also posted Craig's guidelines on my blog a few days ago because I was so moved and motivated by him.

Tannie Datwyler said...

Okay, really, it isn't that bad, I just like to complain because at this point in life I'd like to have NO problems at all! :) I use Mary Kay stuff and that seems to work as well as anything does, though I still have breakouts. My sister-in-law tried Proactive, and it didn't work great for her. I don't think anything makes it all go away, except maybe a perscription, and I am certainly not bad enough to go to a dermatologist, nor can I afford it.

Mardi & Jeremey said...

I was really sad to here about Craig. He was such a great guy. My husbands family even knew him. He left such a great impression on everyone he met.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin