Sunday, August 17, 2008

Easy Sunday Dinner: Taco Soup



Originally I got this recipe off allrecipes.com, but I've since altered it enough that I don't know how much credit I need to give them anymore. You can look at the recipe with the link above or just do this:

Ingredients:
Onion
Ground Turkey
Stewed tomatoes (one can with chiles in it one can without)
Corn (or hominy)
Beans (today I used pinto and black beans but I've used kidney beans before too)
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 packet of ranch dressing mix (just the dry mix, don't make it up into dressing)
Water
Cheddar Cheese (optional)
Sour Cream (optional)
Tortilla chips (optional)

Instructions:
1. Dice up some onion. Brown turkey in it. Drain grease.
2. Add cans of tomatoes, corn, and beans.
3. Add water and taco and ranch packets
4. Heat through.
5. Serve with chips and cheese.

Reasons I love this recipe:
1. Easy to make
2. I think it'll freeze well. I'll try that this time
3. Most of the ingredients required are canned so it's something you can make on the fly (if you have ground turkey in the freezer great, if not you can make it just with beans).
4. People like it.
5. If you use turkey instead of beef and go light on the chips and cheese it's pretty healthy. Serve it with a salad.
6. It can easily serve a lot of people. Just keep adding cans of beans, corn, tomatoes, and water until you have enough.
7. The leftovers are great
8. The ranch dressing gives it a nice kick other taco soup recipes are missing.

Also we served our salad in this bowl for the first time -- it's the one we got at Linen's and Things on sale. I love it. So cute.

0 little remarks:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin