Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Oh Fabulous Food:

Just a few food related items that are making me happy right now.

BLTs with really really good tomatoes. I love BLTs. This is a decently health version. 9 grain bread, bacon, lettuce, and tomato. And no mayo. And if the no mayo comes as a surprise you definitely don't know me that well yet...it's okay there's time for you to learn how much I loathe mayo
Just a little reminder why I don't make bacon very often. And yes I know of the existence of the healthier alternative - turkey bacon. But when I'm making a BLT and bacon is the main affair I feel I should be true to the bacon. Gotta love that George Foreman for draining all the grease for me and keeping the bacon from curling up into a ball.
Because we have insane amounts of zucchini I pulled out Grandma's recipe for Zucchini Chocolate Cake. Next time I plan on substituting applesauce for 1/2 the oil and 1/2 the shortening and see how it turns out. I don't have a picture of the finished product because I think something was wrong with the baking soda and it looks terrible...tastes good, just super dense.
And here's the proof. Zucchini mixing into the chocolate batter (oh how I love my food processor for shredding that zucchini.). This is how zucchini should be eaten...smothered in baked goods.
Also, I had some strawberries that were headed south fast so I finally tried out one of Emily's recipes. It was delicious, fast, and really simple (and brought to my attention that I have no nutmeg, such an oversight).Here's the bread I used. I really don't buy white bread much anymore, but this cinnamon loaf was reduced for quick sale. I just knew I'd find a use for a loaf of bread that cost me only 50 cents. And I did.
So here it is. The finished product. French toast with a strawberry glaze. It didn't need much sugar at all. A totally yummy way to use up some strawberries that needed using.
And last but not least -- the happiest food related item of all! Joe and I have finally finished unpacking the majority of our kitchen boxes and today while I was at my dad's delivering some produce from our garden and mail of my grandmas Joe cleaned. I knew he was going to clean up a little, but he really put away the remaining boxes cluttering the kitchen, finished loading the dishwasher I'd started, cleaned up the dinner dishes and wiped down all the counters.
Here's the proud proud boy. He got lots of kisses for greeting me with a clean kitchen. What a smart man I married. I sure love him



6 little remarks:

Aliese said...

I agree. Husbands who clean kitches deserve lots and lots of kisses! I appreciate it so much when Darrin does it. It's one chore I absolutely loath.

Bethany said...

um, where do you live? Your kitchen is huge! I want it.

graham and heather said...

The only thing that makes a BLT better than it already is would be to add fresh corn on the cob on the side. YUM, I love summer produce!

Anna said...

we live at my grandma's house. She's in assisted living so we are taking care of her house and paying the utility bills (and Joe is mowing the giant yard). we like it. and yes the kitchen is huge. I'm so spoiled I might never be able to live in an apartment again.

Brian, Helena & Eli said...

Good work Joe!!! I bet it was worth it. A de-stressed wife.

The Wolford Pack (Jen) said...

Apple Sauce is a very good substitute, especially in brownies. Try it next time!

I think I'll tell Mike to clean our kitchen for me too!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin