Sunday, September 28, 2008

Christmas is coming...


I know what you are thinking....no, Anna, Christmas is not coming. Halloween is coming. Thanksgiving is coming. Christmas is a long way off.

But the truth is I'm not that into Halloween. I'm not crazy about dressing myself up, but I suppose I'll like dressing up my kids and then I'll love Halloween more. And Thanksgiving to me is just a family holiday of eating--what's to get excited about except time off work and plenty of pie? But Christmas. Oh Christmas. It's not just a day. It's a whole season. It's holiday tunes on FM100, it's going to see Savior of the World downtown, it's beautiful lights at temple square and lining the streets....good smells, pretty sights, and if we're lucky--some lovely snow. I love Christmas. It is, by far, my favorite holiday.

And this year, I want to make it our best Christmas ever (not hard, Joe and I have only shared one Christmas as a family).

Last year we made gingerbread houses, bought a tree and brought it home tied to the top of the car, decorated said tree with homemade ornaments and I made a few Christmas cards. So I'm brainstorming now what I want to do this Christmas. I found some amazing ideas on Ali Edwards' blog and of course there's always Martha, Real Simple, Better Homes and Gardens...

But I wanted to hear from you:
1. What are your Christmas traditions?
2. Any great home decorating, craft, or Christmas card ideas?

(image via sxc.hu from this photographer)

5 little remarks:

Scarehaircare said...

St. Lucia day on December 13th (or the nearest weekend). We serve sweet orange rolls and hot cocoa instead of saffron buns and coffee. Love the Swedish traditions. We also do hay ornaments on the tree (also Swedish).

The Christmas Tree festival (there is one here, too.)

A new tradition starting this jear is the Christmas coin jar. (Have you read the book?)

Aliese said...

We make candy canes! If that's something you're interested in, I'll call you with the details--they're actually really easy. We also make and dip chocolates. I have lots of children's Christmas story books and a Chicken Soup for the Christmas Soul book; Darrin and I read one story a night from Thanksgiving to Christmas Day. Also (this one's my favorite), the night we finish decorating the tree, we dance. Yup, that's right. Put on a little Kenny G's Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas and we slow dance by the Christmas tree. LOVE IT!

The Wolford Pack (Jen) said...

So I hope to be in Utah most of December this year and am very excited to do lots of Utah Christmas things. Maybe I'll even experience more snow this way. Is it mean to leave my husband for three weeks during the Christmas season to visit my family that I only get to see once a year? He'll come out for Christmas Day...

A tradition I've always wanted to start: Visiting DC to see the National Christmas Tree. I've lived here 5 years and have yet to go.

I also love going to see The Nutcracker! I'm so excited for Christmas too! I look forward to Halloween and Thanksgiving too though.

The Wolford Pack (Jen) said...

All I can say for home decorating is: Lots of white lights! Beautiful!

m said...

My parents gave each of their kids a beautiful ornament each year. We all had different themes so we'd know which were whose. I was hearts, my sister was stars and the other sister was birds. We'd get one to five every year and theyd be things my mom picked up from special places (lots of suvenier shops carry these year round). Now I am 23 and have 60+ heart shaped ornaments from all over the world from our various family trips and each one carries a special memory with it. much classier than a shot glass collection... I am sure you and Joe will have a beautiful christmas!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin