Sunday, September 14, 2008

Cutest Cloth Diaper Ever

Well maybe it's not the cutest cloth diaper ever, but it's my cloth diaper made by me. And for a girl with no sewing classes except home ec and watching mom sew my prom dress and Halloween costumes, I think I did fairly well. We had our cloth diaper making party last night and I had a really good time. They look really complicated but really it's just learning to sew in elastic (easier than I thought once I got the hang of it) and doing some topstiching. You have to have a snap machine to put the snaps on, which our teacher Ivy did (but you could just use velcro, though it doesn't hold up as well). My sister-in-laws who got me to come to this party are probably going to buy the snap machine themselves. So I can just go in on that with them and it's not too pricey. To buy a similar diaper, such as those you find here is about 16 dollars a diaper. To make them yourselves costs roughly $6.50. ? Which may seem kind of pricey, but not when you look at cost savings charts like this one.

So they can save you lots of money. Reason #1 I want to do this when I have kids. They are so ridiculously cute, Reason #2. They are suprisingly easier to use than you think, seriously. If you have worries about laundering them there's a pretty good description of that here. And with two of my sister-in-laws using them actively I can tell you I've heard all the details and it still doesn't sound too bad. They love them.

So here are some pics of my handiwork. Can you believe I sewed that?




Posted by Picasa

8 little remarks:

Derek and Jamie said...

Besides the fact that you sewed a diaper, which is impressive in and of itself, I am VERY impressed that you found a cost analysis chart on cloth vs. store bought diapers. How do you find these things? You're so awesome, Anna.

Emily S said...

Very cute. A huge step up from the ones my mom used to use. The chart was interesting, but a couple things were off. The diapers per day were on the high end, actually, and I buy Huggies at Sam's Club (the cheapest Huggies, but there are cheaper diapers), and Josh's size 4's are 19.6 cents a piece. Plus, the cloth diapers didn't figure in the extra expense of Clorox (I would have to use a ton, gray diapers are sick to me), extra laundry soap, extra hot water, and extra electricity from the washer/dryer. Those things make it a little tighter on the cost comparison. But, the biggest cost would be my sanity. I would lose it if I added one thing to my plate. Cleaning up breakfast is hard enough! However, I will gladly cheer you on in your efforts. I'll start now - go Anna!

Tiff said...

Wow! Great work Anna.. I'll have to think about converting. But although I could imagine myself cleaning up a cloth diaper - I can't imagine my husband or YW babysitters doing it.. :)

Leilani said...

Is there a pattern we can buy online? I think these would be great food storage items.

Helena said...

You're right leilani. There are tons of free patterns online too, just do a google search. Anna, I'm trying to join a yahoo group (coop) here in utah that buys the fabric in bulk so everyone gets it cheaper. It's called ClothEssentials.

Colby and Meredith said...

It turned out very cute Anna. Well done!

Kaela said...

This is really cute! I have been wanting to go greener when it comes to diapers for my next little one (and hopefully save some more green for my bank account in the process). How do these hold up with leaking and the likes?

Sarah said...

It seems like an emergency is the last moment you'd want to deal with cloth diapers--they might work well with a washing machine and clean water, but it sounds like a mess if either of those systems is out. At any rate, the diaper is definitely cute, Anna. Way to have some sewing skillz!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin