Friday, September 12, 2008

Freezing Peaches is Fun to Do

So fun to do...that we did it for date night. It was actually a ton of work. But now I'm happy to say we have 8 quarts of sliced frozen peaches so we can make pies in the winter and smoothies any time we want. Best of all---it was free, which I happen to love. Here are some pics of our adventures. If you want tips on how to freeze peaches you can find the directions I used right here.
Quite a useful tutorial.

(btw Joe is watching some late night TV show with mice and rabbits that are dubbed to say bizarre things...I said Hurry Hurry Change it and he said 'look their riding in a little Mini [Cooper]!' and he laughed. And I'm just thinking...is this what date night has come to already? After one year. So sad.




5 little remarks:

emily said...

Hey there,

I have a hard time with the low-carb idea, since 45-60% of your diet should come from carbohydrates, 15-30% from protein, and 20-30% from fats. The body doesn't utilize protein in the same way as it does carbs for energy, which can leave you feeling tired or drained and can even cause aches and pains. Plus, the average American gets far more protein than they even need (you only need .8 grams per kg body weight--1kg=2.2lbs)

The absolute BEST thing you can do for your health diet-wise is to eat lots of fruits and veggies, along with whole grains/complex carbohydrates (whole wheat, bran, brown rice, oats, and even popcorn!).

So if you aren't going super high protein/fat (which is what the Atkins-type diet suggests), I'd make sure you pair things like string cheese or peanut butter with fruits and veggies as snacks, etc, but as far as dinner goes, there are a lot of great options.

Things like stir-fries or curries over brown rice (or plain), chicken or fish with a few sides of veggies, etc. are great options.

If you want some more gourmet ideas, Elise at Simply Recipes has a low-carb section with some delicious options:

www.elise.com/recipes

Brooke said...

I canned apple pie filling all day yesterday and applesauce earlier in the week. It for sure is TONS of work! But worth it. I am excited to have apple pies in the winter now too. :)

The Wolford Pack (Jen) said...

Yummy! Would you like my address so you can send me some? :)

Mardi and Jeremey said...

Where did you get all the peaches?!? I am super jealous.

Anna said...

Mardi -- we got the peaches off my grandma's tree. We're living at her house right now.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin