Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Thanks to Emily Dixon

Thanks to Emily Dixon, who I've never officially met, for helping me figure out how to create a custom header. Her instructions are below. You should also check out her wicked awesome food blog here.

The rest of my recent modifications to my blog were done with the help of this link. And yes, I realize my blog still looks kind of ghetto. But I've wasted enough time editing it today. I'll fix it later. For now the colors don't quite match and the sidebars are a little too narrow. The OCD in me wants to fix it. But I want to go jogging more. So I'm out.

At the website www.scrapblog.com you can create online digital scrapbooks for free. They have all sorts of papers, stickers, and other things to make a page. This is where I make the header for my blog. After you "publish" the page you create, click on File, then select "export as JPEG." Then click the download button located underneath the page you want. Save it somewhere you can remember on your computer.

In blogger, Go to the layout option and click on Edit for your header. a new window will pop-up. For the blog title, it doesn't matter what you write, but you must write something or it won't let you save. Look for the box that says "shrink to fit" and click on it (you must do this before you upload the picture). Then select the bubble that says something along the lines of "instead of title and description." You can now upload the photo (I'm pretty sure you know how to do this by clilcking the browse button). After it's loaded click save. If you look at your blog, it should be there (by the way, it doesn't fit perfectly inside the border, but that's normal).

Now, back at layout click on the blue "fonts and colors" option. This is where you can select a background color that will match the header you put up. You can also pick matching font colors. Be sure to save everything that you do.

Hopefully that all makes sense. I can get rediculously detail oriented in giving instructions and just made you my guinea pig for attempting a "lighter" approach. If it's unsuccessful, please let me know. You know where to find me if you have any questions.

4 little remarks:

Anonymous said...

Anna, where is the link to her food blog? Aunt Margie

Brooke said...

Fantastic! I'll be fixing my blog soon enough. I love these little blogger help posts.

Anna said...

Aunt Margie...The link to Emily's food blog is in the post. My links just need to be changed in color so they show up better. Click on the word "here" at the end of the first paragraph.

henderson said...

Love the new look of the blog!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin