Monday, October 27, 2008

Babysitting does not equal birth control


So often it seems people think that being around children is one of the best forms of birth control. And while that can often be true, sometimes children are just delightful. A few weeks ago we babysat our niece Maya for the evening. She was an angel. She didn't cry the entire time, even when her parents left. She ate everything, she played and mostly entertained herself--and got plenty of attention since we took her with us to a family dinner at my mom's house. She fell asleep in her carseat on the way home and slept in her pack and play until her parents came.

I ended the evening thinking -- if having kids were this easy we'd totally start today! But I am all too aware of the 2am feedings, the crying, the refusal to get on a sleep schedule, the refusing to eat anything, the tantrums, the diapers....so for now. We'll just stick with the babysitting.
Posted by Picasa

6 little remarks:

Aliese said...

You got lucky with that one! Some of us do not have that "stellar" of babysitting experiences. :) I agree though, MOST children really are delightful.

Emily S said...

I totally know what you're talking about. I really wanted Braden to be mine back in the day. I'm glad you found your birth certificate, I'm jealous of the trip you shall take (but hope you take it and have fun), and am glad you shared in my Mayan adventure.

The Wolford Pack (Jen) said...

She is so cute! How did you get your pictures in a colagge like that? I think raising children is the best part...it's the getting them here that's not so much fun. Pregnancy and all its issues I mean. ;)

Jessie said...

While other people's kids may be hit or miss wonderful, you just have to know that you'll love your own, even if they are the most difficult ones on the planet. Which they won't seem to be, because you'll see other people struggling with their kids issues, and think, "oh, (insert name here) is so wonderful compared to that kid!" or "(insert name here)'s (insert random difficulty in childrearing) is SO much easier to deal with than that!"

Or at least that's the way I see it.

I never liked other people's kids, especially babies, and was terrified to have my own... but the attachment is just so miraculously different that I love it. I know you'll be a great mom, when you choose to be.

Angie said...

Maybe you will get pregnant as an "oops guess we should've been more careful" like I did and then you'll never look back nor regret. :) I can't wait to read your mom posts in the future.

Painty (aka Melinda) said...

I'm glad you weren't discouraged by other people's kids! And even though being a parent is hard, it is the best thing in the world! And like Jessie said, your own kids are so much more lovable and wonderful than everyone else's-- even when they spit up on you for the twentieth time in one day just as you are on your way to church. ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin