Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Week of Cooking at My House

This was not a model cooking week for us. I had a terrible sinus infection (TMI?)and stayed home from work for 2 days. But still we did okay. I'm so happy we are eating out much much less. Anyway, here's what graced our plates this week.

Monday: Chili. No recipe. My dad made a big pot and invited us over. Which was super nice since I was sick. Another reason I love living in Utah.

Tuesday: Hawaiian Haystacks. Super easy for when I'm not feeling good. In case you haven't made them here's how to do it:
Put some rice in the rice cooker (I like white sticky rice). Cook some chicken, whatever cut you have. I usually cook this in boiling water, not sure why, it is fast and that's how my mom did it. Dice chicken when cooked. Heat up one can of fat free cream of chicken noodle soup. Add water until it is desired thickness (I like it pretty thick). Add chicken. Set aside. Chop up tomatoes. Open a can of pineapple chunks. Maybe add some green onions or other vegetables. Grate some cheddar cheese. Pile it all in a bowl or on a plate in the following order -- Rice, cheese, gravy, vegetables. Then top with chow mien noodles for some added crunch. Yum.


Wednesday: Leftovers, I think. Oh wait, no. My mom brought me a Cafe Rio salad. Which had a bug on the tortilla!! A bug. So depressing.

Thursday: Pasta with Lime Peanut Sauce. Joe declared this recipe yummy. I declared it a struggle to be tried another day. A little too vinegary for me. And I don't think it helped things that I realized right when I went to make it that I had no teriyaki sauce (curses). I tried to substitute with a little of the items that make up teriyaki sauce---I googled a recipe--- but the end result was just too vinegary. Which was fine by Joe since he loves vinegar. Not fine by me. :( But it was pretty easy. And yummy. And I'm excited to try it again with the right ingredients. And with whole wheat blend pasta, tons of vegetables, and Adams' peanut butter (no added sugar) it was pretty healthy.



Friday: Emily S's birthday. We met them at the Mayan restaurant at Jordan Commons. Pictures to come in the next post. :) Joe and I shared some seriously awesome nachos (less chips (yay) more black beans and cheese (double yay!)) and some pork enchiladas (in the fridge now as we were already too full to eat much---leftovers, yay!).

Saturday: Pumpkin waffles for breakfast. This is sad. The batter was so beautiful, but grandma's waffle iron is ancient and ate my batter and did not want to give it back. So we cooked them up as pancakes. No pics. Sorry. But they were good. Recipe here. Lunch was leftovers and part of a cucumber. Dinner is to be at the Adams' (yay!) and will include pumpkin chocolate chip cookies made by me. Recipe: one package of spice cake mix (bought on sale), 15 oz can of pumpkin (or the other half of a 29 oz can that you didn't use at breakfast), chocolate chips. That's it. Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes (or less if you make small ones). Yields 2 dozen big cookies.

5 little remarks:

Aliese said...

Anna...you're just pretty much awesome.

Tyler and Elisabeth said...

I want to live at your house :)

Anna said...

that would be fun, why weren't we ever roommates. If only I'd been so lucky to live with you lovely girls

Abbie Scott said...

Anna, I haven't been to your blog in a while, it was fun to read and catch up on what you guys have been up too. I loved your recipes! I want those pumpkin waffles (or cookies) right now! I also love your husband post. Isn't great to have one constant happiness in our lives -husbands. What would we do without them!

Emily S said...

I need to start taking advantage of the season and eating all things pumpkin. Thanks for the ideas! (And for the pictures - Josh and I have watched the slide show several times.)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin