Monday, November 10, 2008

Roasting a Turkey -- The Best Way I Know How

[image via Martha, see link below]

One of these years I'm going to have to brine a turkey. Because I had one once and it was incredible. I did once make herb butter and rub it under the skin of the turkey (which sounds cruel and difficult, but it wasn't!)

In case any of you are responsible for cooking a turkey this year I wanted to post this recipe. Or rather recommend the technique. Last year in Ohio we had some fellow students over the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I was super nervous that the bird wouldn't be thawed in the middle or that I'd screw it up some other way and we'd all get sick...or worse...everyone would just think I'm a terrible cook (lets be honest, I was more worried about the latter, I'm shallow). But I didn't screw it up and it was fabulous and juicy and amazing.
And then....tragedy struck when I put the turkey in the oven, sliced, to keep warm. And the oven dried it out. And, alas, my fellow students have no idea that I cooked quite the excellent turkey.

So if you have get to roast a turkey this year, slather some herb butter under the skin and pop that turkey in an Reynolds bag. You'll be glad you did. (Sidenote -- I miss that little kitchen in Ohio....and little visits from our neighbors, often bearing treats---Brooke, I still think about those vanilla bean truffles.....amazing)


6 little remarks:

kace said...

anna, you are quite the little blogger.

and cook.

and person. :)

Helena said...

You look so young!

Ariel said...

Can I have access to said Vanilla Bean Truffle recipe?

Kristen Weller said...

This is Steve Weller's wife. He told me to tag you on my blog. So I did. See our blog for details.

Helena said...

We did this one last year, it was pretty good.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Citrus-Turkey-Brine/Detail.aspx

Painty (aka Melinda) said...

I can vouch (is that the right word?) that those bags are a lifesaver for cooking moist turkeys--not that I've ever cooked one, but my Dad makes a mean turkey and he always uses the bags.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin