Monday, December 8, 2008

It's Time You All Knew...

that my wedding ring is not a diamond. Before any of you think that either A) Joe's filthy rich or B) I talked Joe into getting me a $10,000 ring I thought I'd tell you all about it.

It's pretty, it's not a diamond, it cost less than $500. If it were a diamond of similar quality (color, cut, clarity, carat) it would be $10,000+.

I've realized lately that I am a pragmatist. So when it came to my engagement ring I knew a few things:

1. What I like was expensive, yikes

2. I feel guilty asking people to spend lots of money on me

3. I'd be disappointed with a tiny stone or a yellow stone, or a big black spot in the middle

4. I had some qualms about the origin of many diamonds in US markets (though some tell me that diamond sellers can now claim to know the origin of their diamonds)

So I did what any sensible girl obsessed with google is bound to do: I started doing some research about diamonds manufactured in a lab. I knew I didn't want a CZ or a Walmart ring made out of silver. I wanted something real and enduring and beautiful--made out of gold (or platinum) and with a quality stone. And then I found this website and fell in love with this ring. You can read all the boring details about how close to a diamond it is and the guarantees (if it comes and you don't like it you can send it back and get your money back, etc, etc) here. But the important thing is that it's sparkly and amazing and I got an asscher cut, which is what I wanted.

Anyway, I know many of you are married and already have a beautiful ring. But if someday you want another ring for your right hand, or you want earrings, or if you want to get a larger stone for your wedding ring, you should check it out. For some people there's a romantic connection to having a "real" diamond and if so, maybe this isn't for you. I just know that I have no regrets over my ring. I love it. And I love that it only cost $500. Like I said, I'm a pragmatist. And I like having a big stone that is flawless and colorless. It sparkles, it makes me happy.

So there you go.

5 little remarks:

*Liese said...

Interesting; I had no idea! My husband's a gemology major and studies diamonds and gem stones on a regular basis, so I'm pretty familiar with the "real" stuff as well as the lab manufactured stuff (not as familiar as he is--obviously). The cool part about lab manufactured diamonds (even though you're probably already aware) is: not even the most skilled of gemologists can tell the difference between them and real diamonds unless they do extensive chemical testing which requires more time and money than it's worth. And speaking from experience, when the stones on your finger are REAL, you all-of-a-sudden become extremely nervous and aware of how much your hand is actually worth! I won't lie, there are days I only wear my wedding band because losing tiny diamonds seems easier and cheaper to replace than the monster that is in my engagement ring. At least the whole mess is insured; but even that comes with a price tag. You're right about the "history" of diamonds too...I wasn't all about wearing something that may have caused issues in another country--thus making it even MORE expensive (to make sure its papers were legit, historically sound, etc.).

Tannie Datwyler said...

That is interesting! The ring is lovely - I never would have thought of that. Hey, so I'll be in WJ for just a short time this holiday season, but I'd love to go out to lunch with you and your husband sometime. . . if you are available. We'll only be there the 22nd - 25th, but maybe that Monday or Tuesday. Anyhow, look at your schedule. :)

Mardi and Jeremey said...

My husband bought me some man-made diamond earrings and I love them! I am glad you shared this. I always wondered if people would think different of me for having man-made bling.

Meghan said...

I have the same thing! And I LOVE my engagement ring. It's the best. I totally agree with everything you said. They are so awesome, everything I've wanted, and I don't like people spending lots of money on me either. I absolutely LOVE the clarity of my ring. It's amazing. I like this website too; thanks for sharing!

Ali said...

Such a great idea! I'm so bookmarking this site- Kudos to you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin