Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Stuff I like: Saving Money While Grocery Shopping

Lately there has been all kinds of information out there on how to save money. You know what I like saving money on....things I have to buy anyway, like groceries and gas. Here are the ways I've found that are easiest to save money----note: I am not extreme on the grocery savingsness, but I'll provide some links if you want to go the extra mile. I do what I can with the time I have to commit. Ultimate savings can require more time investment (driving to multiple stores rebates, dealing with Walmart on a regular basis, etc....)

First, coupons. Coupons can save you a lot of money. Joe and I are going to subscribe to the Sunday paper after we move so we can get those coupons. Other good resources for coupons: keep the ones they give you when you check out, pick up the ones you find in the aisles--even if you aren't buying that item in that shopping trip, ask friends or family who aren't coupon using types to give you their coupons. I keep my coupons organized by category in an expandable file that I keep in my purse.

Second, websites. There are websites where you can print off coupons, websites to tell you what stores are having which sales...really its endless if you want to get into it. Here are a few great links.

  • http://www.pinchingyourpennies.com/ -- the forum here has great ideas if you have time to peruse and I really like the "grocery guide" and Brooke just showed me the awesomeness that is "screaming deals by state"
  • recently there was a great set of blog posts by a guest blogger all about grocery savings found here.
  • my friend Brooke is a mega bargain hunter, I like reading her blog. check it out here.
Third, buy in bulk. This should be obvious, but if you wait until you need it chances are you'll pay more than if you buy in bulk as things go on sale (and when you have a coupon). The only things that are kind of hard to buy in bulk are dairy and fresh produce.

Fourth, keep a price book. Forget your preconceived notions of which store has the cheapest prices (note: it's not always Costco, it can often be Walmart if you can brave the lines and terrible produce, but some of the other stores will surprise you -- Albertsons has great sale items and so does Smiths). Keeping a price book will help you know when deals are really GREAT deals and when they are just okay. I gave myself one like this (but with paper instead of plastic business card holders) for Christmas in my stocking. If you are up for something a little more involved check out this blog post.

So there you go, things I've been learning lately and some links for further learning from people wiser than me.

Do you have any great money saving tips? I'd love to hear them.

4 little remarks:

DP said...

So, I can't remember exactly how many weeks it took, but we easily paid for our newspaper subscription within a few weeks after using just a few of the coupons.

Also, just a tip, we got the Deseret News for under $40 for the year. It wasn't advertised, but the sales person on the phone had the deal available. My guess is that the Trib has a similar deal going on. (This was in Sept. or Oct.)

Brooke said...

Walmart only has the best deal on things that you have to get immediately and can't wait for a sale price. But sales are generally better everywhere else. I liked your post about saving money, but now the pressure that people might visit my site! :) You're awesome, thanks again for inviting us to Joe's concert- it was great to see you this weekend.

Jess said...

I need to be better at reducing grocery costs, so thanks for the tips!

emily said...

Thought of you when I saw this blog full of crafty ideas.

http://amber-unnecessarynecessities.blogspot.com

Blog Widget by LinkWithin