Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sugar Addictive...Nah

I'm in denial about the addictive nature of sugar (read more about that here....sugar, not my denial). Mostly I like to be in denial because mentally my commitment to the Word of Wisdom is based on my belief that our spirits should not be prisoners to addiction of any sort. But when scientific studies compare sugar addiction to cocaine that makes me self-conscious.

Maybe admitting you have a problem is the first step to overcoming it.

So, I'm telling you all now. I'm a sugar addict.

Give me tips to get over it. Why is there no sugar patch. Curses.

9 little remarks:

Brooke said...

I was reading in the readers digest about sugar addictions and how it does influence the same parts of one's brain as a drug addict- but I'm not going to say it's the same thing. It's true the less white sugar you intake the more energy you have and the more stable blood sugar levels and all that jazz- so if you eat more fruits with natural sugars it is much healthier for you. However I found when I cut sugar out of my diet pretty much all the way, when I would eat sugar again I wouldn't really like it. And I like to like sweets, so I eat a little bit of sugar every so often so when a delicious dessert comes around I can enjoy it. However if it isn't something I'm enjoying I don't finish it- thereby making my family make fun of me that I'm on the I make Eric eat the last bite diet. Honestly though I give into my cravings, but just enough to taste the sugar- so I have three bites of ice cream or a piece of chocolate or whatever and then walk away- and find that i don't really want more of it even after five minutes because I just wanted a little sugar taste- and if I eat a whole bowl of ice cream or something, it will put me on a blood sugar low later. I think I'm going to do a post about this, this whole comment has become as long as a post now. Wow.

Mardi and Jeremey said...

I am one too! Together we can fight our addiction. Honestly, I have thought about cutting sugar out of my diet, but I can't make it past breakfast. I start everyday with a yogurt and that is 43 grams of sugar. I need my morning yogurt!

I guess my real problem is that I don't mind sugar as much I mind fat intake. I know, I know sugar turns into fat, but I know yogurt is easier on my system than a sausage mcmuffin.

I agree with Brooke. It is best to start cutting treats out little by little. Instead of eating a full bag of M&M's, move to half, then a quarter, then a few.

Dessert is the easiest thing for me to skip. I try to convince myself that if I eat dessert then the yummy flavor of dinner will be lost! Or after dinner I will brush my teeth. That reminds me not to eat anything after dinner. If I know we are going out late and I will have treats available, I brush my teeth and lie to myself, "This is the last time you can brush your teeth tonight. If you eat junk, you are going to be tasting it ALL night". The lie helps.

Another good habit I learned from Pamela Anderson (she's not exactly a role model, I know) but she chews gum while she cooks so she wont snack. It totally helps!

Does this make me seem obsessed? haha, sometimes I am.

Kaela said...

I have the same problem. BIG time. You actually gave me a good tip about giving stuff away and freezing some:) A few other tips that have helped me are... most of the time when I pop some sugar in my mouth I really am thirsty rather than in need of sugar- so first think of water and drink lots of it. Next I eliminated anything with high fructose corn syrup in my house and didn't let myself buy candy either. I stocked up on fruit- fresh and dried to help me cut my addiction to the unhealthy stuff. I still allow myself treats here and there- mostly for my favorite home baked goods (I have to- its the holidays:) ), but I try to just stay really conscious about my sugar intake and it really has helped my energy level stay more even and up! Hope this helps:)

Becky Knowles said...

I agree with Brooke that you can't cut it out completely because you will probably just crave it all the time. I also don't think there is anything morally wrong with have a piece of cake, cookie, or candy sometimes. The idea is moderation. I like the idea of "3 bites of ice cream." I also try to mix my sweets with natural sweets-fruit in my ice cream, pie with fresh fruits, dip an apple in some caramel, chocolate covered fruit-that sort of thing. Also, whenever I make a baked good I give all but one serving (two if Sam wants some) away to neighbors and friends. That way it doesn't sit at my house and tempt me.

*Liese said...

Anna! I'm almost positive that Darrin and I will be able to attend your Christmas party; however, all of your e-mails have gone to my old e-mail that's all sorts of corrupt and can't access them. My new one's l i e s e y m a g o o [at] g m a i l [dot] c o m Anyway, I'll need an address and possibly directions to your house, but we'll most definitely try to be there! ...We may be late since we're drivin' from the SG though...

Luthi said...

Oh my! So i am totally adicted and am fed up. So I am going to detox. Meaning starting jan 1st and allowing few sugars (meaning of course tons of things have a lttle and i am not cutting out bread!) into my system to see if when i do go back on to them I will be able to intake less!! lol!

Anna said...

a nurse I talked to said that there's bacteria in your gut that feed off sugar. so the more you eat the more they demand more sugar. so as you stop eating it your body will stop wanting so much. makes sense to me. I'm waiting after christmas but I'm going to make some sugar goals for new years. and running goals. wahoo!

Emily S said...

I love sugar, but I'm not an addict. WHERE DID MY ICE CREAM GO? IF I DON'T GET IT NOW I WILL SCREAM!!!

Anna said...

I heart you Emily. lol You always have good blog comments.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin