Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I might be a little crazy...

because I've decided to take the pre-requisites for the MS in Statistics here at BYU. I'm starting with Calculus this summer. It's offered from 5-7 Monday-Thursday....heaven help me. I'll have to jog in the MORNING...at like 6AM!!! Need we review how much I struggle to be a morning person? And I'll have to pack both lunch AND dinner! Which means I'll come home at 7 and have to to cook dinner some days (when we don't have leftovers) for the next day because I hate eating out. And I'll have to do homework from 7 until late.

And despite all of this I'm really really excited to get back to math. Luckily I can usually do math while watching TV...other homework I can't. And I took AP Calc in high school and then used my calculus taking probability theory and regression in grad school at OSU....so it should be a breeze. Well as much of a breeze as calculus can ever be.

So yeah, I might be a little crazy, but I love math. And tuition benefits from working at BYU.

8 little remarks:

Painty (aka Melinda) said...

You can do math while watching T.V. ? That's weird-- but talented. Good luck!

Laura said...

you go girl! i have exactly 13 weeks until i graduate and get my MS...i mean, it's not like i'm counting down the days or anything. i might try getting a hobby or something. or maybe remembering what my old ones used to be.

Emily S said...

Sounds like fun, for real. My sister in law has that degree, and she has a super-sweet job. I'd like to take Calculus again, but only from someone who is an amazing teacher. Someone who could make it come alive. I'll probably be waiting awhile.

Ellen said...

It's not crazy to like math!

Unfortunately, you'll do the math faster if you DON'T do it in front of the TV.

I hope you have a good teacher because some of the ones I had in the math department were NOT good.

Good luck!! Too bad most of my calculus and other math skills have gone out the window... ha.

Steve Weller said...

I didn't pass the AP calc test, so when I went to college, I started with 1010 so I could remember the basics. I passed, took 1050, passed, and haven't taken a single blasted math class since. No thank you, I'm done. Gotta love being an English major! And my class will be monday nights from like 5-9 every week during the summer, which is nice since it's only one day a week...but it's 5-9. Let's be serious here, folks.

Anna said...

Thanks Ellen, I'm glad you share my love of math. Lucky you, you figured that out in undergrad. I had so much AP math credit I didn't take any until my last semester at BYU and then it was my favorite class...hmm.. Well majoring in PoliSci did get me the job I have now, so that's good.

And Steve, 5-9 would kill me! 4 hours straight of class is SOOOOO long. Good luck.

Colby and Meredith said...

Wow...I couldn't do it. More power to you!

Alex and Katie said...

Oh, anna, it's such a pain but SO worth it. I don't have to get up at 6 AM, luckily, so good luck to you. But I don't get home till 9:30 pm, and then cook dinner, so we don't really eat until 10- your body gets use to it, except your poor, poor metabolism. Booo it's high-maintanence needs for staying fit. I'm excited for you to take stats, you can help me even more!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin