Monday, February 2, 2009

Organizing and other random thoughts

So...you know how I haven't posted pics of our new place yet.

It's because it's a mess.

You know how I've been blogging less lately (did you notice? probably not)?

That's because my house is a mess and I haven't been working much on fun projects.

You know how I'm obsessed with organizing lately?

I've been thinking a lot it a lot....

and tackling areas of the house...

and taking giant boxes to the DI...

and assembling my ikea expedit bookshelf... (thanks largely to Christmas and birthday money)

and FINALLY picking a color scheme for my living room... (it's pink and green, fyi)


So there has been progress on the organizing and design front which I'm really proud of ,

The kitchen is looking pretty good.

Also please note that:
bathroom clutter (i.e. lots of random stuff)
+
ikea organizers
+
one label maker
=
a much happier bathroom (and a much happier me).


I'll post pics of the house someday, I promise. For now here's a pic of the organizing containers I used...I got them in 2 different sizes...found here and here. For less than 20 bucks I can actually now find my aloe vera and advil when I want it.
And as a parting thought today I leave you this:

I read somewhere recently that clutter is the result of delayed decisions (soooo true!!). Think about it "I need to look at my bank account to figure out if i can pay this bill now or next week...I'll just leave it here on the coffee table" and "I can't decide which of the 3 pairs of pajama pants I have that I want to keep...uh I'll just stuff them all in my closet"....ahhhhhhhhhh.

So I'm tackling organizing by trying to think about how to deal with delayed decisions (can we all say inbox and outbox for mail, like in an office?).

I'm so so excited about it.

What are your best organizing tips?

6 little remarks:

Felicity said...

Oooh, I should definitely start looking at organization in that way. I'd do better.

For now, my best tip is "If in doubt, throw it out." Yes, its a cliche born of leftovers in the fridge, but it works well everywhere else too.

*Liese said...

I have to ROY G BIV my closet because I like to be constantly aware of my clothing "inventory." Especially when I want to wear something in particular--then I know right where to find it.

DP said...

Marry Sarah Gibby.

emily said...

Just wanted to say that I HAVE noticed and have really missed your blogging.

I organize in stages. I have had to overcome some of my sentimentality, and decide if anything has a purpose. Is this expired? Have I read this note from my second grade teacher since then? Am I still in contact with these people? Have I worn this in the last 6 months?

Then I find it's easier to get rid of something I have sentimental feelings toward (i.e. favorite shirt I never wear) if I give it to one of my cute cousins or friends. At least then I know it's in good hands.

Malinovka said...

Can I just say how much I love those expedit bookshelves from IKEA. Oh, how I love them. Someday I will have one too. I love that you can have a color scheme for your house. This is definitely an exciting time! I read "It's All Too Much" by Peter Walsh not long ago, and I loved his philosophy about clutter, etc. Thanks for the quote--SO TRUE!!

P.S. Love your Valentine's Day idea. I'm already too late for 14, but at least I have some ideas for the actual day! ;)

Tiff said...

I love our filing system... the concept is from freedomfiler.com, but I didn't buy their product. I just made my own labels. All the long term stuff stays in our filing cabinet in the office, but the current month and next month are in a little basket down in my kitchen pantry. This way, when mail comes in - it goes right in the "Action" file, or the current month (for the bills that are auto pay), or the tax folder for this year, etc. When I sit down to pay the bills I pull out the Action file and go through.

It also works for invitations and stuff too - we go over our schedule for the week every Sunday, and I go through the Action folder to see if there is anything we need to add.

I added coupon files as well.

At least it keeps the paper piles at bay.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin