Sunday, March 1, 2009

Family Home Evening Packets

Preface: For those who read this blog who aren't Mormon, let me explain. The leaders of our church counsel us to have Family Home Evening (FHE) every Monday night. This usually involves a spiritual lesson, a game, and a treat.



Second preface: Joe and I are bad bad bad and never have had official family home evening.



So when my friend Tiffany suggested that she was getting a group together to work on FHE packets (lesson, game, and recipe all in one, prepared ahead of time) I thought it sounded like a good idea. Plus, when we ordered in a group we got each packet for $3 instead of $5 ($2 more for color, but I got mine in black and white because I like having an excuse to whip out crayola markers). It was fun to see Tiffany and her new baby Harvey and I've had a lot of fun coloring the little packets. I think I'll actually order more next time.



If you'd like to see a sample packet you can see one here.



So what do you guys think? Do you like this idea? What to you do for FHE (or your family togetherness time generally speaking)?



Oh and on a related note, Joe and I bought a game this week that we will probably play at many a family night.
Brooke and Eric introduced us to this game (Bohnanza) and now we're obsessed. And if you love board games generally and live here in Utah you should check out Board Game Revolution. They have two stores in Utah (and an online store for those who live elsewhere) and their prices are amazing. We got Bohnanza and will be going back to get Settlers of Catan and Ticket to Ride at some point. I love those European game makers.



So, what are your favorite board games to play?

12 little remarks:

*Liese said...

@ Anna--
www.bellasoles.com they're pretty new so not everything is on their website, but there are a few things there (my blue ones are there!).

*Liese said...

Oh, we play LOTS of games! Ticket to Ride is a favorite, but one you haven't mentioned is called Luck of the Draw--KINDA like Pictionary, but you don't have to be awesome to do well! Everyone draws the object or whatever, then another card is drawn for voting ie: Vote on the picture which reminds you most of your mother. Then, you pick one! It's hilarious. Imagine if... is a good one when you're playing with friends, Match Mate is a favorite when you have couples, and OH--THE GAME OF THINGS (only available at Target) is HANDS DOWN our favorite game at the moment. I'd HIGHLY recommend it. If you ever feel the need to try a new game out, come visit us and we'll play! We seriously have over 60 games in our Game Closet. We love them!

Sarah Flib said...

Dave and I generally discuss a talk from the latest general conference. We switch off--I'll pick a talk and lead the discussion one week, and then he'll do it the next. It has been a great way for us to review conference and have discussions about the gospel. We're also pretty good about fitting in a treat on Monday evenings.

I think the important thing about FHE is to remember that it doesn't have to be elaborate or stressful. The most important thing is to discuss the gospel and to have a fun time together, so don't worry about any frills.

Christiansen's said...

We LOVE bohnanza! We got introduced to it last summer and stayed up til like 2 am playing it (that is why it was probably so much fun that time :) ). FUN FUN GAME!

Kaela said...

You really are a maven Anna! Thanks for referring me to that photographer- we are getting our pics taken this week by her:)

Jessie said...

We have a hard time doing the FHE thing too--we're just busy, and when we have an evening together, we spend it playing and enjoying each others company (which I think is a big part of FHE), but we rarely get a lesson in. I'm trying to figure out how to be better about that--I think the packets sound like a great idea.

And we've been in a HUGE Settlers kick lately... I love it. We play with all of Cory's family at least once a week. We've also played Ticket to Ride a couple times, but everyone gets grumpy with that one... I think it goes on too long. Fun stuff, though. I also love me a great game of Scrabble.

Tannie Datwyler said...

We LOVE Bohnanza. Richard and I are quite the game players, so we are always surprised when someone tells us about a game we haven't heard of or played. :) That one my boss recommended, so we bought it for Christmas and it is great. My favorite board game is called Shadows Over Camelot. It is very unique. . . LOVE IT. I also like all the other games you mentioned in your post. Richard's favorite game is Starfarers of Catan (similiar to Settlers, but more complex).

FHE. . . depends on the age of your kids. Before Richard and I had kids we used to sing a song, have a prayer, discuss family issues, then read and discuss Ensign articles from the conference editions. We weren't really donig lessons in the strictest sense of the word, but we were doing FHE and that is what is important.

After Claire got old enough we started tailoring lessons to her. At first I used the nursery lesson manual to get ideas. Now, Richard and I discuss lessons and plan them out for about 2 months in advance. A friend of mine just sent me a free packet book though and I am excited to start trying those. I'll have to take a look at the one you sent out at well. I am always looking for new ideas.

Kacey said...

Brandon and I were having a hard time having structured FHE, so I suggested we buy the FHE manual that the church publishes. We just started at lesson one and have gone in chronological order. It's been nice because we don't have to figure out what topic to teach about...it's predetermined. Plus, each lesson has LOTS of ideas--for adults, kids, teens, etc. So, we'll be able to use it over and over again. It has really helped us.

Emily S said...

Our family switched from adult-only FHE to w/Josh FHE when he was around 2. We'd get out a picture and talk about what it was and that was all he could do. Recently we started using the new nursery manual for lessons - perfect!! The Friend and Ensign always have ideas, as well as the fact the church has a manual. I'll also email you another thing I have. So, it changes with the age of the kids, for sure. And although I think the most important thing is just making sure to do it, kids love frills sometimes, so it doesn't hurt to have some in reserve.

Come over to our house and play games!

Charayne said...

We should do a game night some time. We really need to hang out more. We love all of those games...we have Settlers, bonanza, ticket to ride, and more. You should try Zooloretto and Ingenious.

Kristen Weller said...

Not going to lie. We love playing Killer Bunnies with a large group. It's a fabulous game.

Jill said...

Hi, My name is JIll, and I make the packets you mentioned here, I noticed we got a bunch of hits off your cute blog, and I wanted to send you some of my favorite packets as a small thank you. If you would e-mail me through our web-sight and let me know your address I would love to send you some. Thanks again ( your blog is soo cute!)

JILL

Blog Widget by LinkWithin