Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reminiscing: Dinner Group (and a project report)

Recently at work (BYU) I noticed a flyer from the school of nutrition asking students involved in dinner groups to come in and share about their experience. Sigh. This made me remember all the good times had in dinner group.

What is dinner group you ask? It is brilliant. In college students would sometimes form these groups...everyone takes a turn making dinner for everyone else. My groups were usually Monday-Thursday. One group was just my roommates and I so I cooked once a week, another was like 8 people and so I only cooked once every two weeks. So as a busy student you can have a good, homecooked meal 4 days a week and you only have to cook once in a blue moon.

I miss dinner group and really wish there was a way to make it work now that I'm married. Of course sometimes dinner group had it's shortcomings---like the roommate who really didn't know how to cook and her meals were...cough...somewhat lacking. Still, overall I miss dinner group.

Anyway, that may seem random but it was on my mind. Here's a shout out to the Gibby girls and Rachel--people who read these posts and were awesome dinner group members.

In other news...PROJECT UPDATE

I completed a project. Remember this bag, I actually completed it. And I must say that if I weren't so lazy I'd make you all a tutorial that would simplify the making of this bag in a major way. But I am lazy, so no tutorial. But if you want to attempt the bag, drop me a line and I'll give you some shortcut tips. So although it was time consuming it also gave me an immense feeling of accomplishment.

I've also been working on a quilt for our bed with my mother and mother-in-law. When the top is done I'll post. It involves polka dots so I'm very happy.

And in the next month I'll be sewing an apron with my mom and sister-in-law. Should be rather adorable, frilly, girly, and retro. Fun.

Oh and I still need to reupholster those chairs. The process has been stalled by my indecisiveness regarding fabrics. I'm thinking green again....but need to nail down a specific fabric soon.

Also, Joe and I inherited my grandma's china hutch, table, and chairs. I'm especially excited about the chairs!! We don't have dining chairs and these ones are so unique. My dad, who works at Home Depot, is going to walk me through the process of refinishing all of it in a darker stain. I'll take pictures and post a tutorial, sort of a "How to Complete your first Furniture Refinishing Project". I seriously can. not. wait.

So there you go. Lots of projects going on. What have you been up to lately?

7 little remarks:

SanniD said...

I just got back from the fabric store to buy a few other things (besides fabrics) and caught myself loving and dreaming as I was looking at all the different fabrics. Am I the only one who does that? Anyway, I've been re-decorating my boys bedroom. I'm wishing I can do it as quickly (and expensively) as I want, but with three kids those options don't exist. So that's what I've been up to.

Scarehaircare said...

school, school, school, baking (see blog for today's post). Major envy on the cute bag and upcoming apron. I have a serious love affair with aprons. Unfortunately no time for anything but school, school, school....

DP said...

Anna, are they still asking for testimonials about dinner group? I even have a cool flyer we made for it once. Man, we both miss dinner group. If you had moved into our complex instead of Highland, we could have been in one!

*Liese said...

You've been busy!! But knowing you, I shouldn't be shocked. My sister-in-law does a dinner group! There are four families and basically they each take an evening (Monday-Thursday) and deliver dinner on those nights. I would think it's quite the undertaking with WHOLE families, but I've considered asking young married folk if they'd like to participate in one because making dinner for eight people isn't exactly taxing. If I lived closer, you'd be on the top of the list! I love your bag and am pretty much gonna have to copy it (that and the apron idea).

Meghan said...

I love the bag! I may try it.

Emily S said...

Oh, man, I want a dinner group sooo bad. Actually freezer meal groups sound cool, too, I just don't have a deep freeze and haven't taken the time to get knowledgeable. Glad you're giving yourself a treat per week, zero is just cruel enough to cause a binge. I know cause I went on a sugar fast once and it was the hardest thing ever. Glad you've got projects, I've got dreams . . .

Rachel said...

I miss dinner group!!!!!!! I did one my last year of law school, too, and it saved me! And I miss cooking! Yikes. So much to miss. Mostly you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin