Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Perfect Pair of Jeans

Photo via here.

My David Kahn jeans are so amazing they made the 104 in 104 list. And I'll admit, they are lovely (though I've lost about 6 pounds since I bought them so they don't fit as well as they did. But hey no complaints on losing 6 pounds), but even the David Kahns--the best jeans I've ever owned--are not perfect. They are a little too low-rise for my liking and they were too long, I had to have them hemmed.

The perfect jeans are elusive. They are nearly impossible to find. Jeans shopping is depressing (unless you are crazy about every facet of your body, and if you are, hmm, who are you? have we met?). And those little articles in women's magazines and Oprah/Today show segments on the perfect jean, can only help so much.

Right now I'm at the point in my life where I buy one really great (best I can find) jeans every year or two and wear them until they get holes. So I'm accustomed to spending as much as about $100 on one pair of jeans rather than $25 each on several mediocre pairs.

So the other day when I was reading my free "Mine" magazine I came across a brilliant idea. Custom jeans. Semi-affordable, custom jeans. Gotta love globalization because custom jeans could not be even semi-affordable if they were designed and sewn in the U.S. So unless you have the best tailor ever, who can make your Walmart/Old Navy jeans fit perfect, or perhaps you have an ideal body type and have found your perfect brand of jeans (lucky you!!) perhaps you should read on, about custom jeans.

So, I ask you, how much would you pay for perfect jeans?

You know, perfect.

As in there is no gap at your waist, no hemline too long that requires you wear special shoes, or floody pants that are embarrassing, or awkward gold embroidery and sequins.

Just perfect jeans that make you look thin and make your behind look small.

I don't think there's any "right" answer to this question. It varies from woman to woman. Right now I'm content with my David Kahn jeans, but the custom idea intrigues me. According to the article, which I could not, unfortunately, find on the web (you can borrow mine if you live nearby), custom jeans cost from about $50 to $150 depending on the manufacturer.

You can get custom jeans for as little as $48 at makeyourownjeans.com
Or you could order from the tried and true manufacturers (the ones they tested for the article) for about $145 at indidenim.com or mejeans.com.

So how do they make such amazing jeans? The process is amazingly simple and I'm glad someone else tested it out, because I was skeptical that they could do it.

You need a friend or spouse to help you measure your knee circumference and seated crotch height, inseam, etc...(who knew anyone would ever want to know my knee circumference). Then you send the measurements over to the company, along with your requests for particular styles, washes, zippers vs buttons, etc...

Give it approximately 4 weeks and apparently the FedEx man will fill your heart with joy when he brings that box, because the jeans are "life-changing" (the author's words, not mine). The author was so happy with the results that he states "Now I am the proud owner of three pairs of jeans. And they haven't so much transformed my wardrobe as obliterated everything else."

So what do you think? Are perfect, amazing jeans worth $150? Many of us don't necessarily have disposable income of $150 for jeans. Though there is something to be said about purchasing fewer quality items that you are absolutely crazy about, rather than accumulating an entire closetful of bargain items that you are somewhat lukewarm about. I need to be better about not accumulating clothing I'm just lukewarm to, and save my dollars for items I'm truly crazy about.

And now, this jeans article has gotten far too long. I apologize. I am not a fashionista by any means, but I thought the concept was intriguing. And I do love having nice fitting jeans.

7 little remarks:

*Liese said...

I think the idea of custom jeans is awesome! I'm going to look into this seeing as I've never been able to find a pair I absolutely LOVE on my body. Granted, I've come close--but it's definitely come with a price tag! I'd much rather spend money on things that are truly worth it than waste it on lots of bargains (which is what I tend to do, but also have been trying to stop).

Nonetheless, good post, Anna! I like it.

Luthi said...

Yah, I am still not sure they exist...

Tiff said...

Can you specify what size you want the tag to read? :)

My marketing teacher said this was the future... you would climb on some sort of scale, lazers would start measuring and tracking every part of your body, the machine would start making the jeans, and it would ask you what you wanted to tag to read. I think I need to e-mail this website to my teacher. He would probably pee his pants.

Laura said...

It is an interesting idea. and yes, i would pay 150 for the "perfect" pair of jeans. do you know what standards are used in production? i ask because $50-$150 seems pretty cheap for custom jeans...makes me wonder if a fair wage is being paid to the laborers. (this is not to say that designer jeans are by any means fair trade!)

Anna said...

I'm not sure what their labor standards are. It's nearly impossible to tell. I mean they can say they treat their workers well, but you never know. One company that is really good at ensuring fair labor practices is ikea. They randomly send auditors to factories to check up and make sure they are adhering to guidelines. It makes me feel good to shop at Ikea for that reason.

Steve Weller said...

So, I live between a 32" and 34" lenth on my jeans. Do they make 33" jeans? Unfortunately, no. So I stress between getting the 32" floods (they really are so small!) and the 34" jeans that drag on the ground when I walk and then they get all frayed because I'm too cheap to get them hemmed--whatever. I would love custom jeans, too, and I'm a guy!

Emily S said...

I love the idea, but the online-ness of it all scares me. I mean, what if I'm not great at measuring, or they don't get my vision . . . I like the custom pants I've seen from people who went on their missions to Equador. Custom, cheap . . . all you have to do is get to Equador.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin