Monday, May 11, 2009

Running Playlist --- Don't I Have Awesome Taste In Music?

Q, this post is for you.

I like to listen to music when I run alone. When I run with friends we chat, but when I run alone I have to have music to keep me motivated, help set the pace, and make me smile. I mean how can you not want to run when listening to the All American Rejects and who doesn't smile at the cuteness that is David Archuletta.

I have two sets of running music, slower and faster. Because I'm not yet up to running several miles without taking walking breaks, I run walk/run intervals. I have slower music for the walks and faster for the runs. Anyway here are some of my favorites (and I highly recommend switching up your running music regularly. $5 or $10 well spent on itunes can make running so much more enjoyable.)

So the faster (and often funner) music
  • Honey, Honey; Mamma Mia; and Lay All Your Love on Me from the Original Broadway Soundtrack, Mamma Mia (not the movie one, important distinction since Pierce Brosnand is not a great singer)
  • Move Along by The All American Rejects (one of the BEST running songs for when you feel like you are fading)
  • Viva La Vida by Coldplay
  • Various songs by Colors, if you don't know about the band Colors (a Utah local) check them out here. My favorite song is probably "The Wedding Song" and it's great for fast running
  • Running by David Archuleta
  • Ready to Run; If I Fall You're Going Down With Me;  Some Days You Gotta Dance and others by the Dixie Chicks
  • Somebody Like You by Keith Urban
  • Follow You Down by the Gin Blossoms
  • Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer
  • Since U Been Gone by Kelly Clarkson (in general I adore hard core Kelly Clarkson music for running...or when I was single, for getting over a breakup)
  • It's Gonna Be Love by Mandy Moore
  • Perfect and Sarah by Maren Ord (link to her CD under the slow music list)
  • Miracles Happen by Myra (love that Princess Diaries soundtrack...this song makes me happy)
  • From My Head to My Heart from this soundtrack (soundtracks are often music goldmines, do you feel that way?)
  • Stand; Prayin for Daylight; This Everyday Love and many more by Rascal Flatts
  • Our Song by Taylor Swift
  • Shut Up and Let Me Go by the Ting Tings (a MUST have. so great for running and it'll get stuck in your head)
  • I Still Haven't Found What I'm looking For by U2
  • The Rising from the Joseph Smith Nashville Tribute CD (link under walking music)

So for the walking music:
  • The Ocean in Me; I Wouldn't Last a Day; Try Again; and A Secret I Can't Keep all by Cherie Call.
  • Crush; To Be With You; and A Little Too Not Over You by David Archuletta
  • Cowboy Take Me Away; Goodbye Earl; and Without You by the Dixie Chicks
  • Down with Love sung by Renee Zellweger and Ewan McGregor from this soundtrack.
  • I'm Yours by Jason Mraz
  • Lucky by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat
  • Cry by Mandy Moore
  • Beautiful by Maren Ord (love her, check her out if you haven't heard of her)
  • I'm Movin On by Rascal Flatts
  • You're Gonna Miss This by Trace Adkins
  • The Prayer; Candles; Brother I'll Follow You and others from this CD (Joseph Nashville Tribute) which provides much great running music
  • Music from the "Season for Courage" EFY CD like "I Will Not Be Still" and "Whatever It Takes"
I'm always up for some new running music recommendations, so leave them in the notes if you would like. Or just music recommendations in general. You can see I like happy, cheesy, romantic, spiritual, or uplifiting music in general. I'm a big believe that music can have a huge impact on my mood. There are so many other songs I'd like to buy.

(p.s. I asked my boss, and he consented, to let me work 4 longer days instead of the usual 5 day work week. This means my Mondays are about to be very productive, and allow me to add one more run day to my week---bringing it up to 4 days a week. I am beyond excited about this new change, even if it does mean longer days Tuesday through Friday.)

5 little remarks:

*Liese said...

Good for you; I'm so impressed! I agree that All-American Rejects, Rascal Flatts, and Dixie Chicks all have fabulous running music. I also really like Jack Johnson stuff for walking.

Beazer said...

Anna, you're the best. I must have posted with Q still signed in... but I told him I wanted some songs for my mp3 player for Mother's Day so I guess this is for him after all!

Felicity said...

I love this topic! I take my running playlist quite seriously. A few of my favorites:
-Kelly Clarkson's 'My Life Would Suck Without You'
-Corbin Bleu's 'Push it to the Limit'
-Hilary Duff's 'Hey Now!'
and
-Jason Mraz's 'The Remedy'

Good luck with the runnin'!

A and K said...

your play list has a shocking lack of Britney Spears. I recommend her ;)

Anna said...

how could I forget Brittney Spears, seriously. I'll add some for sure, thanks Katie.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin