Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I love this quote

So according to my schedule, today should be a post on technology---and I have several I want to write, but no time to write them today.

But something today reminded me of this quote, by Nelson Mandela and I love it so much I thought I would share. It became somewhat overquoted for a while, but now that time has passed and I am reminded again how much I love what he has to say:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

My favorite part is probably "We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us." If there is anything I know for sure, it's that I believe the purpose of life is to fulfill our potential, to become the best version of ourselves that we can, and to help eachother do the same. And this quote always reminds me of that.

4 little remarks:

*Liese said...

Agreed. It's totally one of my favorites as well! It's even used in a basketball movie (totally can't even remember the name). I feel as though I must include a time when it was used in a church lesson and the lady referenced a GA; I attempted to correct her and she "informed" me the GAs wouldn't dare reference a non-Mormon in their talks. I let it go...even though I felt the need to then point out how many times C.S. Lewis has been quoted over the pulpit.

Anna said...

ha ha Aliese, I like that story.

Ali said...

Anna, I love that you posted this quote...it's funny to me cause my sister Kaela knows you through me, and we've talked before about how similar you both are in your interests and things (she loves your blog), and I remember her saying once that this is her favorite quote!

Kaela said...

Ha! Yup, Ali and I have talked about this quote on an occasion or two. It was one that really stuck with me when I read it in high school. What can I say, I looooove it:)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin