Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Quiet Book Tutorial: E is for Everyone (Updated!)

Updated: Originally I called this page "G is for Garden" but then I updated it because I decided to use G for something else. Here's a better pic than the ones I originally posted:

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to update, I have been one crazy busy woman. Also, since this is one of the pages Heather chose I've been making two.
So I could wait to post this until Wednesday, craft blogging day. But I did promise to post the first page this week. So here's the first half of the tutorial, I'll update the post when I finish the second half (probably this weekend).

As you'll remember E is for Everyone (can see the beauty of the temple)---photo of a temple with felt flowers that button on and off.

Supplies needed for this page:

  • 1--square of felt. Mine is charcoal and 12" x 12" (source: Joanns)
  • 1--Square of any patterned fabric for background, 11" x 11" (optional) (source: Joann's)
  • 1--Temple Photo (Deseret Book)
  • 1--plastic clear vinyl. (Walmart--look for a remnant, my large piece was less than $0.50)
  • Several -- buttons. I'd recommend big ones since little fingers are still practicing their fine motor skills. (Yard sale buttons)
  • Several -- small squares of felt, I chose different colors for each felt (Joann's leftover from this felt birthday garland project, these are like $0.25 per sheet of felt and come in tons of intense wonderful colors)
  • Thread (Joanns)
  • Interfacing, any kind you choose, I am using some rather stiff heat fusible interfacing. This is optional, but if you want the book to be strong and enduring I wouldn't skip it. (The cheapest I've seen it was at The Stitching Corner, but they sell at Joann's or Walmart too)
Step-by-step
(for all pages I'll be using a sewing machine. If you don't have one or would rather do it by hand most steps can be done that way. Modify as necessary)

1. Begin by centering your patterned background square on your felt square & top-stitching together. I think a long straight stitch can be cute, but my longest stitch still wasn't quite as long as I'd like--also I was worried about fraying of the edgets of the patterned fabric, so I chose to use a zig zag stitch.

tip: make sure the patterned fabric is ironed very crisply and that you smooth the fabric constantly as you sew to make sure there are no ripples or bubbles. If you were super fancy I suppose you'd have some temporary basting spray, but I don't.


2. Cut a square of vinyl the size of the photo (maybe 1/16 inch larger all around).

Place the photo in the upper center of your page,

With the plastic centered on top, zig zag stitch it into place.
Why add clear vinyl you ask? Because if little grimy fingers get it dirty I can wipe it off and it should hold up better than just the temple print alone.

Now the background of your page is complete (give yourself a pat on the back)

...so now to add the portion that will DO something. Perhaps the most critical component of the quiet book. For this page that is flowers that button on and off the page.

Making the flowers that will button off and on.
Certainly you could remove some of these steps and simplify if you wish, but I'm focuse on trying to be both cute & building something lasting so I like it more elaborate.

3. Find a shape for your flower. For outline shapes I like to google for cookie cutters in that shape. Then i copy that shape onto paper (you can print the picture of the cookie cutter of just draw it out) and then you have a flower pattern like this, perhaps:

4. Trace the pattern onto your felt. I used a fabric pen, but it doesn't matter since you can fuse the marked up side to the interfacing later.
(you'll notice the felt color keeps appearing to change...but no, the lighting is just terrible in our basement & that + picasa = weird colored photos)

5. Take the cut flower shapes & fuse them to the interfacing with an iron.
Note: the purpose of adding an interface layer is to give the flowers strength. Felt is a great material and comes in so many pretty colors, but its fibers can be pulled apart if tugged on too much--or at least wear down. I plan on strengthening, with interfacing, any piece that will pulled off/on, getting lots of use.

6. I tried this next step 2 ways. I wanted a finished edge that further bonded the interfacing to the felt and also made it look cute. So I opted for contrasting thread.

First I tried to finish the edge with a really tight zig zag (before cutting off extra interfacing)....but not only was it skitteywampus (not a word) but when I tried to cut off the extra interfacing it was impossible to make it look good without cutting into the stiches.

Second time around went much better:
I started taking the two pieces of bonded fabric and cutting off the excess interfacing.

And then I used a VERY tight zig zag to finish the edges:
This looks really cute, but it was REALLY time consuming. To save time you could just straight stitch around the edge in contrasting thread, but that wouldn't be as colorful. You choose. Repeat these steps for each flower. I did 5.
7. Decide where the buttons should be placed (leaving extra room on the edge where it will be bound), sew each button on by hand.

8. To finish off the page I plan on adding a G and stitched words to describe the page. But instead of cutting out the letters by hand I plan on going to get pre-cut felt letters. I'll post that final picture later, but essentially, IT's FINISHED!

Any questions? If you have questions leave a comment and I will do my best to answer it.
Take care and have fun! It's so much work, but so so fun.

In case you missed it, don't miss the entire plan of pages for the quiet book.

1 little remarks:

Kacey said...

you are quite the crafter...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin