Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Authentic Happiness

A few months ago I attended a devotional by Dr. Martin Seligman here at BYU. (You can go watch the video yourself at this link: BYU Weekly | BYU Forum - Martin Seligman). He is considered by some to be the father of positive psychology, focusing on mental wellness and learned optimism---focusing on being happy regardless of one's circumstances. I honestly don't remember what the talk was about, but it was good.

But really I thought I'd blog about his website Authentic Happiness which has some questionairres you can take on topics like an authentic happiness inventory, learning your character strengths, life satisfaction, etc... (guaranteed these scientifically tested quizzes will teach you more about yourself than those ever so popular facebook quizzes). It also saves your quizzes for you and you can come back and retake later and see if you score higher (theoretically if you make some changes in your life you'd see higher scores (greater happiness)). Maybe I'm just crazy about numbers and stats, but I like this type of stuff.

Anyway, I'm not a big reader of self-help type books (I prefer fiction) but when I attended this talk I was super intrigued. My husband Joe is one of the most determinedly optimistic people I know--and has made me a big believer that happiness in many circumstances is a choice (a choice that is sometimes incredibly difficult to make). Definitely listen to the talk, and check out the website too.

0 little remarks:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin