Thursday, July 23, 2009

Quiet Book Prep


Sorry for the slackerishness on the quiet book. In my defense, I was in VA for work for two weeks.

Assembly line is the most efficient way to produce things---including quiet book pages. So I tried to do a bunch of prep work to get pages ready for their embellishments. Here's some work you can do, doing many pages at once so that when you are ready to wrap up the details of the page it can go much faster.


1. If you haven't already, cut out your felt (mine are 12 X 12)
2. Open up your fat quarters & iron out the creases
3. Cut out your patterned quilting fabric squares (mine are 11 X 11) -- if you don't have a rotary cutter, get one today, seriously, it'll bless your crafting life.
4. Zig zag stitch around the edges to adhere the patterned fabric to the felt.

In the end you'll have a bunch of these:

And then when you want to start a page you can pretend you're already halfway done with this part completed :)

7 little remarks:

emily said...

I love the different colored background squares. I did all mine the same and I think your variety looks MUCH cuter.

WELL DONE!

Sarah Flib said...

No need to defend yourself. It looks great and people are just glad to have an update when you get to it.

Ali said...

I like your way of thinking- assembly line here I come (someday)...Such great colors of pages you have!!

Kaela said...

It is starting to get eerie how much we may think alike when it comes to taste and organizational style. Assembly line is so the way to go and I tend to do everything I can in that manner- less work, and in this case more forethought in the flow of color choices etc. Looking good:)

Cara Terreri said...

Great idea to use fat quarters. How do you plan to attach the backs of the pages to each other? Also, did you leave extra room on the one side where the button hole (for binding) will go? Thanks!!

Anna said...

I actually plan on serging the pages together (back to back). Then as far as the button holes, I didn't leave an extra large border on the edge where the button hole will go---instead when I attach all the other stuff on TOP of the page I make sure none of it is too close to the edge, so I'll have room for the button holes.

Cara Terreri said...

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to see more!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin