Sunday, August 9, 2009

Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence

Tonight Joe and I were reading & discussing part of Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk, Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence. It is one of my all time favorite inspirational talks. If you have not listened to it, you must. Click here (comes in PDF or MP3, for free).

The talk, at it's core, is about how after moments of true conversion, illumination, or confident decision making you can't look back, you can't doubt & question, or better yet you must conquer your doubts & fears and leave them behind in the dust. And by doing so there is so much happiness to be found.

Perhaps I feel so passionately about it because of my experience dating & marrying Joe. I called of our engagement at one point & had such doubts, but now that I trusted those good feelings I had about Joe(and one illuminating experience in particular) we are now happily married. And a good marriage takes work. I believe that. But there is a lot of joy in things you put your heart, soul, time and effort into. Staying happily married is a challenge for all couples---two independent people maintaining a good relationship, ideally for the rest of their lives--how could anyone expect that to be easy. But the work is worth it.


And it's not just marriage that is blessed by confidence, it's a whole host of important decisions we make in life. Once you've made a decision (based on sound principles & dicussion & prayer) you have to stick with it.

Of course Elder Holland says it best. I'll leave you with my favorite paragraph, it's so inspiring (and even more so when you hear it in context of the entire talk).
"With any major decision there are cautions and considerations to make, but once there has been illumination, beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. if it was right when you prayed about it and trustred it and lived for it, it is right now. Don't give up when the pressure mounts. Certainly don't give in to that being who is bent on the destruction of your happiness. Face your doubts. Master your fears. 'Cast not away therefore your confidence.' Stay the course and see the beauty of life unfold for you."

4 little remarks:

Kacey said...

this talk helped me continue in my decision to receive my endowment when i turned 24 as i had felt impressed to do...despite some misgivings in the months before.

best decision of my life.

i was engaged 2 1/2 months later. those two events might seem separate and unrelated. but, trust me. it was a direct blessing.

sigh. what a wonderful talk.

Angie said...

Great talk and thanks for the great quote. These things always come right when you need to hear them don't they? Thanks for sharing!

Tara said...

I love this talk. That is all.

Heather said...

I'm really in need of an inspirational message right now, so I'm going to read it. I also didn't know that you can actually download some of these talks for free! Thanks for the info!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin