Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Camera Advice -- I need some help

Joe and I are looking to finally buy ourselves an SLR, ideally before the baby comes if we can save up the necessary funds with all the other saving/purchasing we will be doing.

So I was hoping to solicit some advice from friends who have SLR cameras. What model do you have, what do you love about it, what don't you. What would you do different if you bought a new one now? What features are must haves, which are just "nice to have", etc... etc...

I'd like to get a good camera, but it doesn't need to be the top of the line.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give.

For now we're leaning toward the Canon Rebel line...but I'm still totally lost on which model--and really I can probably be swayed to another model/brand.




Thanks for your help!

6 little remarks:

CJ said...

Get a Nikon D3000 or Canon Digital Rebel XS and call it good. At your entry level, there's absolutely zero reason to get a nicer body with more advanced features. You won't use 50% of what either of these two fantastic bodies offers unless you get seriously into artistic photography. Besides, lenses are where to make your investment, as those "grow" with you as you switch bodies over time.

And if I were you, I'd seriously consider getting a Canon S90 instead. It's not sexy like an SLR, but unless, again, you really plan on investing significant time and effort into learning about exposure, metering modes, etc, etc, an SLR doesn't make sense. I have an S90 in addition to my Nikon D200 and it's fabulous: zero shutter lag, RAW shooting, max f/2.0, great sensor, and video (albeit not HD, sadly). You might even consider going with a top-of-the line Canon PowerShot from the SD series, as it'll have more power than you can use for awhile.

Read these:

http://gizmodo.com/5393112/canon-s90-review-itll-never-leave-my-pocket-except-when-im-taking-pictures

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/12/technology/personaltech/12pogue.html

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-S90IS-Digital-Stabilized/dp/B002LITT42

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1000d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3000/

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4102&review=nikon+d3000+review

Meghan said...

I'm not a professional, my husband knows much more than I, but we have a Canon Rebel... I think it's the XT or something like that and we LOVE it! It's the lowest end of the Canon SLR cameras. Honestly, we're not professionals; just a hobby for taking nice pictures. So, I totally recommend the Rebel series. LOVE LOVE LOVE the Canons. There are the best still cameras bar none, in my opinion. Good luck shopping. How exciting!!

Ali said...

Jeff knows more about the elements of my camera than I do. When we bought our SLR he researched it a ton and made compare/contrast charts and wanted to find out what was the best bang for our buck. I just knew that I wanted a digital SLR that I could switch out different lenses with.

We have a "Pentax K100 D Super"...and I just know that I love it. I mostly love my lenses and the versatility they bring to it though. (I think it's the lenses that make the biggest difference in photo quality...not so much the camera body) That way you can buy specific lenses for specific indoor/outdoor uses and different depths of field and lighting. I have the kit lense that came with it (18-55mm), a super zoom (70-300mm) lense, and my new lense- a prime lense of 50mm with a low f-stop of 1.4 (that one is my FAVORITE!)

My sister Kaela has a Nikon and LOVES it...

Good luck in your research!

Shawn said...

Kristen and myself have a cannon rebel and it works just fine for our needs. We got an older model to save some money. I believe it is a 2000 but I am not sure off the top of my head. If you are thinking about going into it more seriously I would recommend going to another brand.

Erin said...

I just got the rebel xs. I did a lot of research and spoke with some semi-professional photographers. The advice I took was that the xs is a plenty good body and to invest the saved money in a great lens. I already love the rebel xs and will probably buy the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens soon.

emily said...

I got the rebel xsi. I really like it. I did research online for ages, asked people whose photography I admired and cross-checked with consumer reports. So far, I really like it. I'm still an amateur, but it's fun to play with and relatively easy to use.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin