Friday, January 8, 2010

Crafting Plans/Goals 2010

I love goals. I like making them. I like seeing myself achieve them.


This year Joe and I have some plans for goals we are making in four areas of our lives: family, career, physical and spiritual. We'll make new goals weekly and we try to track them every night. Having short term goals, really short term--7 days, is good for us. It gives us a chance to start over weekly--or praise ourselves weekly--whichever the case may be.

But this post isn't about those type of goals. 

It's about a list of things I want to accomplish this year. And by this year I really mean in the next 5 months because starting in June I'll have a little girl to take care of every day and I know it'll be much  much harder to find time to craft, learn new skills, read anything I want, etc...

So here's my list:

1. Finish the quiet books. Yes books. I need to finish mine and then make copies of 15 of the pages for 2 other people (5 for one, 10 for the other).

2. Make crib bumper, quilt, and possibly some sort of window valance for the baby's room. I bought the most beautiful fabric when a local store was having a 30% off sale. And it's actually quite gender neutral so I'll be able to reuse it in the future regardless. I'll post pictures soon.

3. Make some nursery wall art. I was so incredibly inspired by this nursery wall art from Trendy Peas. I want to make a tree like this one, but with leftover fabric from the bedding so it'll match really well. If you don't want to make one, the price for a print is really reasonable.:

And I'm totally wild about this graphic representation of your child's name and birth details---I only wish it came in more color options since neither is quite right for our nursery--but maybe we can get away with the blue and grey one...


4. Finish painting & adding new knobs to the baby's dresser. We inherited a pretty ordinary dresser from my grandma when she passed away so we're painting it white (which will match the crib) and adding some glass knobs to it, something like this:


Easy project. Love it. Might be able to pawn this one off on Joe actually

[Question for the moms out there: how critical is having a changing table? The dresser is a little high and putting one on there might not be very comfortable for short little me, and I'm not sure we have room to add an independent changing table. We could if its critical, but it could be crowded. Thoughts?] 

5. Learn how to take pictures with our new camera. I am so excited. Seriously, so so excited about our camera. I can't wait to learn better how to shoot in manual mode and not use the flash...it's definitely going to take some study and practice. I'm looking forward to it.

Anyway, I have a few other craft projects in mind. We'll see how far along I get. These are some of the major ones.

I'm a list maker. How bout you? 

Have you made any lists in the new year? Places to go, people to see, things to do? Goals you want to accomplish?

18 little remarks:

Julie said...

I do not think a changing table is necessary. I found myself stashing diapers, wipes, etc in baskets in different areas of the house. Then, I could just change the baby where we were and move on with our lives. I did however keep the diaper champ (that is essential in my book) in the babies room as most of the changing did occur there.

Anti-Dish lady said...

Congrats on the baby! I don't think a changing table is crucial. My son is two and change him on the floor! The only person that used the changing table was my mom! Babies start wiggling around quickly, and if they are on the floor, they have nowhere to fall. Can't wait to see the fun things you do with your nursery. Are you going to be a stay at home mom?

Poulsen Family said...

Congrats on your pregnancy, I'm due in June as well, with my fourth. I found your blog a while a go and began following. Love your stuff. Any way, I thought I'd chime in on the changing table. It's really not necessary, but nice to have. You'll probably only use it when the baby is young. We used a dresser for our first and second (It was about waist high for me) and for the third we had a changing table. But, honestly most the time I nursed my babies in bed with me and was too lazy to take them to the changing table to change them any way. I used my bed...just place the clean diaper underneath the bummy, open the dirty one, clean them up, remove the dirty one and fasten...it'll become an art after a while. I have one of those washable pads to place under the baby too, just in case it was too messy or they leaked out the diaper. Also, through the day I was too lazy to climb the stairs and just changed them where ever I was when they needed it. If you don't have room, you can really do without. Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy and your upcoming goals!

Erica said...

I wouldn't worry about getting a changing table. We had a changing pad on top of our dresser, but ended up changing her on the floor most of the time anyway. It was nice to have, but definitely not a necessity.

Jessie said...

I like having goals, too, but at this point, I am trying to take it easy on myself, and not expect too much, at least until our baby gets here and I get into the swing of having 3 kids. That being said, I hope to make a nursing cover in the next week or so, and I have a lot of cleaning goals to accomplish before the baby gets here.

I know the window valance wasn't as high on your priority list, but I thought I'd pass this along in case you're interested: http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/2009/09/easy-pelmet-boxes.html
It looks like a really easy tutorial for a simple window cover. My friend Kellie made some for her kitchen, and they turned out beautiful--just thought I'd mention it in case it worked for you.

Good luck with all your goals--you're smart to try to get so much done before your baby girl gets here. Life changes in just about every way possible once you have a baby. Getting into the habit of making and finishing goals before they get here is a good way to go, though.

Dibble's said...

I love your goals! Here's my thought on a changing table...it all depends on what your plan is with your little bambino. If you plan on keeping him/her in your room for SEVERAL months...probably not a necessity but still nice. However, if the baby is in their own room most of the time, you'll want a place to change their never ending diapers because if not, you'll find yourself always camped out on the floor. But that's just me! Good luck!

Helena said...

changing table not necessary, we dont have one, our bathroom counters are quite large, but you can do it anywhere, we'll just have you make you some "water-proof" pads with leftover P.u.l. I have.
and luckily babies start out blobby, so you have time to perfect the camera stuff. it gets hard once they're moving and running around.

Tiff said...

3. Why don't you make your own graphic of the birth date, etc. It's SUPER easy in Photoshop...

4. I love my changing table - but it's also on top of Harvey's dresser and I'm all about doubling up on duties. But.. his room is super accessible to the rest of the house, so I just go there to change him. If you have big staircase or have to walk far to do it - you probably wont anyway, and a little diaper caddy like this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3190407
would suit your needs. :)

Kellee said...

I thought that I totally needed a changing table so we bought one. The only time I ever used it was when I was actually in the babies room, which was hardly ever. I ended up just using the changing pad that came with our diaper bag and changing wherever I happened to be, which is usually where the baby was anyways! :)

Beazer said...

We had a changing pad and used it on the floor or the bed. I might have liked a changing table more -- who know? It worked out just fine with a pad -- plus for C we had the pack 'n play that had a changing area.

Malinovka said...

I'm sure not one for goals, but I love reading yours and watching when you're able to check them off your list! We never had a changing table. We had a pad that we used on the floor or our bed. You definitely want to be changing where you can stand comfortably without bending over at all. My back hurt after bending over to change in the pack-n-play bassinet. If you don't have room for it, you should be just fine with the pad (but if you have a bedspread that's really nice and hard to clean, you may end up changing only on the floor...).

Mandi said...

Since I'm close to 6 feet tall, I knew I'd be needing a changing table (no bending down too low for me, it'd kill my back). What I wish I'd thought of before spending the money on a matching crib and table is to use a dresser with a changing pad on top. The changing table I have is not very toddler-friendly in that the shelving is open and Scott can easily pull EVERYTHING out when he's a mind. A dresser would have grown up with Scott a lot better. Nowadays, Scott weighs too much for the table to support him, so I change him on the floor. I haven't decided yet what we'll do for this next baby--if I can find a good deal on a nice dresser for Scott, I may just ditch the table I have now and use the pad-on-top-of-dresser idea.

Colby and Meredith said...

I don't have a changing table either, just use a pad and change Lyric on the floor or on my bed. Although, when our next baby comes along, I may consider it if we have room. It does get tiring getting up and down off the floor every time to change the baby.

Jessie said...

We've never had a changing table, and I haven't had issues with changing on the floor (or the bed, as the case may be). My only advice is when you're changing a diaper is to get the clean diaper ready and open first, then remove the dirty one, and swap 'em out as quickly as possible, especially at first. :) Really, though, we've never had a changing table, and I've never missed it. Usually they make you change the baby sideways, which seems more difficult, if you ask me.

Frenchy chick said...

I have used a changing table and pad. It all depends where the baby's bedroom is. If i have to go upstairs...i will use the pad. At night i will use the table because i sleep in the same room as the baby. Things change anyways, the baby outgrows the changing table at some point. Congrats on your pregnancy. I am exited for you!

Charayne said...

Personally I loved having my changing table, but since my first kid, I have changed them on the floor, or the bed, pretty much anywhere works. Do what you feel comfmportable with though or you won't use it anyway. BTW, I make lists too. Love them and for some reason when I do make them I feel like I accomplish more (not because I do) but because I can cross things off. Let me know if you want any help (oh and you should check out winborg sisters blog for some art inspiration.

Sarah Flib said...

I don't have a changing table either, and I don't really want one. When M. was tiny I always changed her on my lap, and now that she's bigger I just put a changing pad or a blanket on the floor and change her there. I seriously don't think it's a hard thing to do at all. Our pack 'n play came with a changing table, but we didn't like using it so we just took it off.

Holly Strong said...

Everyone has a different opinion on the changing table. W have had them and rarely use them. I am a big time floor changer. BUT, it can be a bad habit. If you don't want to buy one but want to try it out, I have a white one that is not being used. Personally I just keep baskets of stuff in two places, my room upstairs (since he slept there for so long) and one down in the family room. Pretty soon I will move the changing stuff into the bathroom and change him there. It made potty training easier for my kids.
Good lock! As for the birth info thing, you should totally make your own, I'm sure it would be super easy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin