Sunday, January 3, 2010

Quiet Book Tutorial: Xs and Os, Tic Tac Toe

I feel like I played my fair share of tic tac toe in church as a child (and the dot game, I LOVED the dot game). The dot game would be a pain and a half to replicate in felt. But tic tac toe was easy. And cute. And cheap.

I hand sewed the entire thing. Mostly because I am lazy about getting out the sewing machine, but also because I find doing things by hand is very relaxing. But you could speed this up a lot by whipping out your machine.

Unfortunately I somehow forgot to do step by step pictures. Woops. Sorry. But seriously, on this one, they are not needed. Here are instructions, followed by the final photo.

Supplies:

  • 1 background page -- see instructions here.
  • 3 colors of felt -- one for X (mine was green) and one for O (mine was blue) and then one for the grid and labeling the boxes (I chose black)
  • Coordinating thread & embroidery floss


Step-by-step Instructions:
1. Make a tic-tac-toe grid by cutting out strips of felt from your neutral felt color (black here). When making the grid be sure to leave enough space at the top for your pockets that will hold the Xs and Os and enough space on the edge where you will have your button holes for binding the pages together. Stitch the grid directly to the back page using a zig zag stitch and black thread.

2. Make yourself a template X and a template O. I did mine out of black felt and then used this black felt letter as a template for all the colored Xs and Os. As a plus, I used the black templates to label each of the boxes at the top. Making templates freehand can sometimes be a pain. Here, go find something round that is the right size to fit in your grid and trace it to make your O. For the X, it's probably going to be easiest to make a cross (like the first aid sign) and flip it on its side.

3. Make 5 colored versions of each (X and O). There are nine spots on the grid so even if you go first and it ends in a tie you couldn't need more than 5.

4. Cut 2 square pockets out of the colored felts---1 of each color. This is where you'll store the letters when it's not in use.

5. Stitch your template X and your template O to their corresponding pockets. I did this by hand, it's probably easier if you ask me.

6. Stitch the pockets to the background page. I used coordinating thread so it didn't stand out, but if you wanted the stitching to show you could use something like white.

7. Add the rest of the words in embroidery thread. I have discussed embroidering words previously here.

That's it. Done and done. One of the fastest and cheapest pages I've done. And I think it turned out pretty good.



I'll try to finish D is for Drawing and A is for Ark this week and get them posted. You can see the entire list of quiet book pages here.

2 little remarks:

Charayne said...

I can't wait to see the finished project. Someday, you will have to help me make one....it will probably be for my grand kids at the rate that I'm going. :) Talk to you soon!

Frenchy chick said...

I love it! Thanks for sharing!!
This is my next project!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin