Thursday, October 21, 2010

When freezer burn attacks...

The other day I opened my fridge and realized that the chicken in there was freezer burned. Sad. This on top of the fact that I had grabbed the wrong bag and it was BONE-IN and SKIN-ON. Ahhhhh. What's a girl to do with bone in skin on freezer burned chicken when she's accustomed to skinless boneless preferably NOT freezer burned chicken? Well I stuck in a pot with some water and some vegetables--limpy celery, onions, carrots, some herbs...and stewed for hours to make chicken stock. Then I strained, pulled apart the chicken, threw out the bones and skin and let it sit a few days in my fridge.

Then last nigh...rather late, I set out on making this chicken pot pie. I used this recipe as a base (thank you cooking light) but I had to modify it.

My Changes (at least the bigger ones):

>I'm a relatively picky eater...so I told myself I didn't need to use sweet potato (just used all red potatoes instead) and I didn't need to try both parsnips & celery root...one new vegetable was enough. And I'm happy to report that celery root is great, very similar to potato in texture and flavor. Try it out! Next time I'll add the parsnips too--why not!

>Also I added mushrooms. And actual celery.

>The biggest change was that I couldn't have dairy in mine (I'm cutting it out...mostly...for Everly. I'm not as picky as I could be about it, but I'm trying. So that meant no butter and no milk...no cream of chicken soup...nada.). So I thickened mine with flour but I just used extra chicken stock...no milk. Cuts calories too. And I'm happy to report that it was delicious. (Oh and in case you are wondering...frozen puff pastry sheets ARE dairy free. FTW!)

And beautiful.

So next time you freezer burn your chicken...I recommend this as a solution. A very yummy solution.


I'm off to have seconds... :)
Posted by Picasa

1 little remarks:

Branden & Angelique said...

Love the idea! My Nikh is allergic to dairy too, and something else that we are in the middle of trying to figure out. So I am now looking for ideas. I recommend the book Go Dairy Free.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin