Monday, January 31, 2011

Learn Something New: Roast a Chicken

A few weeks ago I decided to roast a chicken. A while ago my good friend Helena, a clear role model in homemaking, told me how easy it was. I thought about it but it still intimidated me.

One day, not sure what got into me, I decided to go for it.

Roast a chicken.

And it turned out awesome. It was as easy as throwing a beef roast in a crock pot. The only real hassle is rinsing the chicken off before putting it in the pan--which leads me to disinfecting the entire sink...its okay, my sink probably needs it anyway.

image via here.
Anyway, now I'm a chicken roasting addict.

It's the perfect one dish meal. It's hearty, warm, delicious...and the leftover chicken can be torn off to make lots of other meals very quickly through the rest of the week. You could use leftover roasted chicken to make:
  • Little pizzas under the broiler (with 100 calorie Slim Buns for the crust)
  • Hawaiian Haystacks
  • Chicken pillows
  • Chicken salad sandwiches (I hate mayo...but you might like them!)
  • Chicken Black Bean enchiladas (use this enchilada recipe, but chicken instead of beef)
  • Chicken and Cheese quesadillas
  • BBQ Chicken sandwiches
  • And any other recipe you have which tells you to start by cooking up some chicken breasts...
Roasting a chicken is amazing. And easy. Oh and affordable.

At my grocery store a whole chicken is $0.99 a lb -- about $4 or $5 a piece. Organic free range chickens run about 4 times that...unless your friend Helena tells you they are on sale for $1.99 a pound and you go buy 3. Now having tasted organic free range chicken I'm not sure we can ever go back. It was amazing! I'm a believer. Plus I like to know that my little chicken had a happy little life running free.

Anyway if you are like me, taking on new tasks like this requires step by step instructions. I used this recipe from my "How to Boil Water" cookbook (which I LOVE). The only change was I added some Mrs. Dash seasoning to the S/P in the instructions. And I used olive oil rather than butter. And I cook mine in my deep calphalon non-stick skillet (it has deep sides, probably 4 or 5 inches) because I don't own a roasting pan.

Anyway, try it out. You might just become addicted too.

1 little remarks:

Ali said...

This is something that's always intrigued me. Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I'm saving this post and maybe someday soon I'll do it!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin