Monday, January 10, 2011

Music for Kids...and Adults too

Months ago on NPR (yes I listen to NPR, though less now that I'm not commuting to work) I heard this story reviewing this CD. I emailed myself so I wouldn't forget about it. And I'm so glad I did, because now I"m adding it to my amazon wish list and I'm looking forward to an excuse to buy it (Everly's 1st birthday?)


Head on over to Amazon and listen to the clips there. What do you think? Do you like music like this? The lyrics make me laugh. They are totally kid oriented, but the sound of the music doesn't sound like it should be coming out of a fisher price toy of some sort. And the MP3 download is $5.00, for 12 songs.

I think that as Everly gets bigger and we need some "in the car" or "dance around the house" music, I might not mind getting some of the "They Might Be Giants" children's CDs, like "No"...you can also listen to that one over on Amazon and if you purchase the CD it's $8.99 for 17 songs.

Or the Barenaked Ladies CD "Snack-time" could be fun too.
Want more ideas? I remembered Stephanie over at Simply Radiant blogging some kids song playlists a while back so I searched her blog and found this one and this one.

Anyway, I'm no music aficionado, but I'd like to have some fun music in our home for Everly to grow up with (beyond Disney or Broadway classics, which I'm well acquainted with). She seems to respond quite a bit to music and I'm excited to discover some fresh fun music for myself too.

How bout you? Any favorites (of yours or your kids)?

2 little remarks:

Brooke said...

Love this post. Fun new songs for us to try, that always makes me happy. I love Laurie Berkner as well, check her out on youtube.

Savanna said...

I use the They Might Be Giants science album all the time in my classroom.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin