Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Whole wheat...goes chocolatey...

I have a love-hate relationship with whole wheat flour. When I buy sandwich bread at the store I always try to buy good whole wheat bread (white bread is extremely rare at this house). Anyway I love whole wheat bread.

But, not long after I got married I tried substituting just a small amount of whole wheat flour into some banana bread and it was---terrible. Bad news.

Since then I've shied away from adapting recipes to be healthier by using whole wheat flour.

But recently I made some half wheat rolls for Thanksgiving and had some leftover whole wheat flour that I've needed to use. I made granola (yum) and then today I tried these beauties.

Triple Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins.

You heard me. Triple chocolate. Banana bread. Muffins.

Make them next time you have extra ripe bananas. You won't be sorry.

You definitely can taste the whole wheat flavor and mine were a little dry (next time I'll probably just cut the cooking time a bit shorter). I also used all semi-sweet chips (no white chocolate) because that's how I like it...dark and chocolatey.

Check out the recipe (and all the gorgeous photos) over on Good Life Eats. A fabulous little new-to-me food blog.

(Oh and FYI, by my calculation each muffin has about 145 calories...just in case you are calorie counting like me)

(picture is by the recipe author and used per the policy on her site in the Q&A)

3 little remarks:

Scarehaircare said...

Find a copy of the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking Book. I bought mine from Amazon but you could probably check it out of your library first. That is chock full of whole grain goodness.

Scarehaircare said...

Find a copy of the King Arthur Flour Whole Grain Baking Book. I bought mine from Amazon but you could probably check it out of your library first. That is chock full of whole grain goodness.

Kristine said...

these sound amazing - I need to try them. My mom used to sneak wheat flour into things while we were growing up - I used to get mad when she did it in my birthday treats :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin